Gnome 3 fails to start

The original problem was stated here: Gnome 3
It seems that in Tumbleweed the same thing is going on when starting Gnome 3: “Oh no. Something has gone wrong and the system was unable to recover. Please log out and try again”.
I did send a bug report https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=716010 and i belive that mutter is the problem.

I need to know if this happens for other Tumbleweed users of Gnome 3 as well, 32 or 64 bit system. Any workaround found beside deleting mutter and using only the fallback mode :slight_smile:

Which extensions did you install? IIRC mine broke after installing the gnome-shell-extension-xrandr-indicator. Same message. If it’s installed, uninstall it and try to login.

I have no extensions installed; do i really have to install them?

Nope. I posted this because I know the xrandr extension can cause the problem described. Could you create a new user and see if the phenomenon exists for that user? If not, it’s in your settings.

Also, is the NVIDIA driver installed?

Yes i had created another user and the nvidia driver is installed and i get the same error.
The weird thing is that in VBox all is working well…

Now this is going to sound really weird and pretty stupid, but I had a similar problem and found that it was down to the install not pulling in the Adwaita theme engine and GTK.

It should switch to fallback mode, but because of the lack of Adwaita it throws the same screen again.

If you run a “zypper se adwaita” it should show you the 4 packages needed.

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±----------------------------±-------------------------------------±-------
i | gtk2-metatheme-adwaita | Adwaita GNOME Theme – GTK+ 2 Supp-> | package
i | gtk3-metatheme-adwaita | Adwaita GNOME Theme – GTK+ 3 Supp-> | package
i | gtk3-theming-engine-adwaita | Adwaita GTK+ Theming Engine | package
i | metatheme-adwaita-common | Adwaita GNOME Theme – Common Files | package

If the “i” at the start isn’t there then it’s possibly the same problem I had.

If that works it would seem to be a problem with the packaging.

I also read that when you removed mutter it went to fallback, the Adwaita stuff is the problem imho (which is probably a dependance for mutter to work properly).

Zoialord: i have the packages installed; i just did a reinstall same thing; thanks for the tip.

Now, out of curiosity, i removed mutter and gnome-shell and logged back in to Gnome3, in fallback mode this time and re-installed mutter and gnome-shell but with no restart to the system. I opened a console and started gnome-shell --replace to see what happens. Here is the output:

creatura@creation:~> gnome-shell --replace
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomesegvhandler"
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not 
found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '("Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not 
found")@gjs_throw:0
@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/status/keyboard.js:5
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not found'
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not 
found
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '("Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not 
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not found'
found
'
found
'
found
'
found
'
found
'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Requiring Gkbd, version none: Typelib file 
for namespace 'Gkbd' (any version) not found

Either this happens because i did not restarted the PC or something is not right with gnome-shell and/or mutter… What do you guys think about it ?

"Gtk-Message: Failed to load module “gnomesegvhandler”
Solved this by linking gnomesegvhandler.so from usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/modules to /usr/lib64/gtk-3.0/modules.
The rest still remains … :frowning:

This came to me this afternoon whilst walking home: I see you’re running Tumbleweed, where’s GNOME 3 from? This should be the correct repo: Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed:/GNOME/openSUSE_Tumbleweed

Knurpht: i use the right repo for Tumbleweed, set at priority 98(as suggested in the tutorial for gnome 3 stable).
The problem was solved. It seems that zypper dup did not upgraded all of the gnome libraries. In my case it was libgnomekbd that caused the gnome 3 session to fail. After upgrading libgnomekbd gnome 3 is working as i should. Now i have two DE`s under the same operating system and both work well :slight_smile: