Getting rid of unused "Default" kernel

So i finally got my other netbook back, and decided i would try suse 11.4 + gnome 3 on it. So i did a clean install from the gnome 3 live cd.
After installation i noticed i got the default kernel, instead of the desktop one, so i went to yast->add/remove software and installed the kernel-desktop and kernel-desktop-base, then i went to the bootloader settings app in yast and set the default boot kernel to the new desktop one.

I restarted, and went to add remove software again, to remove the “default” kernel, and removed the kernel-default package, then i went to bootloader settings and noticed that there is still an entry for the “default” kernel, i assumed that once i removed it, its entry in grub would be gone?

So i went again to add/remove software, to veryfy that the default kernel had been removed, and it was, but i noticed that kernel-default-base is still installed. And when i try to remove it, yast tells me that to uninstall that package, it has to install kernel-default!

I dont get it, i allready installed kernel-desktop and kernel-desktop-base, why cant i remove the kernel-default-base package (without installing default-kernel again)?
And why do i still see an entry for the default kernel on the bootloader settings app? do i need to remove it manually?
And for that matter, do i need the “base” package?

i just figured out, i had to remove the package ndiswrapper-kmp-default first. Cause it depended on the default kernel.
I would have tought that yast would have told me i had to uninstall ndiswrapper instead of forcing me to keep default kernel related stuff.

Oh well, its solved now :slight_smile:

It can be a brutal experience first time round

On 2011-06-30 10:36, ErnestoRD wrote:
> I would have tought that yast would have told me i had to uninstall
> ndiswrapper instead of forcing me to keep default kernel related stuff.

That’s a missing feature. An rpm query could have told you what depended on
that package.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)