Games won't run...

Heya,

I’ve tried to install a lot of games on OpenSUSE most which doesn’t work. It bothers me that I can’t make Tremolous and AlienArena work. Tremolous keeps coming up with some install errors. AlienArena claimed to be installed correctly, but won’t start. Nothing happens when I press the game icon. As far as AlienArena goes I think maybe the game engine/3d engine is missing. Does that make sense?

I’ve tried installing Tremolous through the ‘Install Software’ that installation works, but the same happens as with AlienArena. I tried going to openSUSE Game Store And download a .yum file from there. This installation doesn’t work. It claims it can’t connect to the repository.

How do I fix this?

Daqar

i only play quake 3 arena now…

but back in the days when i tested other first person shootings, like cube or sauerbraten; it worked by installing the .tar.gz source file, not the rpm.

so, have you tried installling them from source?
usually the install and start-up instructions are inside the file.

hope this info helps.
<OF>

I don’t know how to do that. I downloaded a zip file from here:
Alien Arena - a fast, fun and free FPS!

But I don’t know how to use it. I’ve unzipped it. I need to type ./crx in the terminal to run it, but I get the following error:

./crx: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I guess I’m missing something?

Daqar

Yep it is something missing. If you open YaST and go to “Software Management” you should be able to do a search (left hand side top of the window is a search box), It basically means a “dependancy” is not there. In this case it’s the libjpeg package. If your running 64 bit make sure to select both the libjpeg and libjpeg-32bit package’s.

I tried adding libjpeg-devel and libjpeg-devel_32 or something like that I couldn’t find ‘libjpeg’ and ‘libjpeg32’ But these seems to be installed already:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa224/JacobCollstrup/screenshot.png

I hope you guys can see the image…

I get the exact same error message…

Daqar

Yeah look’s like you have them… have you posted on the game’s forums about it?

It sounds like it’s looking in the wrong places… I don’t play them… but I’ll install them later and see what I get.

Well seems Tremulous (from YaST) for me give’s a opStack error, and AlienArena fails on a crx bug aswell…

I’ll have a hunt around see if I can find a solution for it.