Flashplayer crashes the browser with hardware acceleration enabled

Hello guys I love openSUSE,and I love my Firefox,to bad I’m forced to use Chrome,because it comes with it’s own implementation of Flash!Here’s the problem,Firefox crashes when I play flash videos on any other site besides Youtube!I know if I disable hardware acceleration it works but what’s the point of that if the video is choppy!I’m on openSUSE 12.1 64 bit stable Kde 4.8,with an Nvidia gt 440 card with the proprietary driver installed!I think this problem has been discussed,and I’m sorry if I’m duplicating it,or if I’m in the wrong section!I can’t provide any output for now cause I’m on a Windows machine at work!Any advice will be appreciated,cheers!Sorry for the long post!

Hello Marius (Salut Marius) the problem is well known.

The good thing is that as you said Google Chrome that has version 11.3 of Flash Player is not affected by the bug even with hardware accelaration enabled. The good part is that you can use Firefox, Seamonkey or Chromium for visiting flash sites BUT only with hardware accelaration disabled (the bad part). Since 11.2 is the only version available for linux distro`s you can only hope that Mozilla will implement something like Pepper API to keep up or as an alternative you can stick to Google Chrome as i did a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the quick response,why do I have the feeling that Chrome is becoming the Internet Explorer of the linux world,not to blame Chrome but I guess when you’re becoming dependent on a single browser,it’s not a good sign of freedom of choice!Oh Adobe how I loathe you,I have to use Chrome just because flash plugin suck on other browsers specifically Firefox!Not cool!Anyway thanks!

On 2012-07-29 08:46, Marius Timu wrote:

> Here’s
> the problem,Firefox crashes when I play flash videos on any other site
> besides Youtube!I know if I disable hardware acceleration it works but
> what’s the point of that if the video is choppy!

Complain to the people that make flash, it is a known problem and we can do nothing about it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 07/29/2012 09:06 AM, Marius Timu wrote:
> I have to use Chrome
> just because flash plugin suck on other browsers specifically
> Firefox!

maybe you think you are talking here to Adobe coders?

see, you have LOTs of choices:

• turn off hardware acceleration in the latest flash, or

• back level to an older version of flash (which will give mostly very
    few problems, but is known to have security issues–this is the same as
    going to Chrome since it has an old version of flash built in), or

• don’t use flash, and write Adobe and tell them (but, they do NOT care), or

• use HTML5 and work/donate to make it faster and better, or

• do nothing (which is as useful as bitching about Adobe here)…

ymmv

dd

I know about sucky flash and Adobe not giving a ****,and thanks guys for the responses,I was kind of hoping someone else had this problem(it seems that way),but more importantly a fix,but thanks anyway!