Firefox flash plugin (10.0.32.18) broken

I’ll keep following this thread for corrections/fixes.

thx for your time :slight_smile:

You are welcome. Thanks for raising the issue for our attention.

I just got around to testing this on my sandbox PC. Both youtube and bbc video play fine. I can start - stop - start - stop over and over again.

This was a clean install of a 32-bit OpenSUSE-11.2 RC2 from the DVD on an athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM and FX5200 graphic card with proprietary (beta release) nVidia graphic driver. Software was MozillaFirefox-3.5.4.6.1 and flash-player-10.0.32.18-31.1. I have neither mplayerplug-in nor gecko-mediaplayer installed. I’m thinking this may be a configuration problem on your PC ?

I’m thinking this may be a configuration problem on your PC ?
Unlikely.
Lee, mine is mostly OK. Just some random blips. That link posted: Press For Truth Covers Day 1 of H1N1 Vaccinations in Toronto
Is quite problematic, but sometimes it’s ok.

Hmmm … that works ok on my PC as noted above … I started, paused, restarted, paused MANY times. No problem.

… but you know … I can almost guarantee one that if I am given enough time, I can surf the web and find a website whose flash will NOT work at any given time, even though it may have worked a few weeks previous. These web sites are constantly changing how they stream a video. And they test their videos vs Explorer on MS-Windoze, and sometimes against Firefox on MS-Windows , but rarely do they test against any Linux distribution’s browser. Which often means Linux users have to find careful work arounds.

The user gave next to no information on their setup other than the flash-player version. Note the information I gave in my post #23 above. I happen to think the flash and firefox version, were there any video plugins in firefox, HOW the RC2 install was done, the graphic hardware, and graphic driver, all might be relevant. But that information was not given other than a half hearted attempt in post#14. I tried to suggest this tactfully by putting a LOT of the possibly useful information in my post as to what info should be passed in return, but clearly that tact is too tactful and not helpful here, as no one “caught the drift” that more info is likely needed. …

Anyway, I’m suffering badly from a head cold and killer cough that won’t go away, and its likely doubtful I can help anyway, so I won’t purse this any more and I’m out of this thread.

mackendw, best wishes in trying to solve why this does not work for you.

Working for me again
It may be adblock it doesn’t like
http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/5441/ccf7f954409825.gif](http://www.imagebam.com/image/ccf7f954409825)

"The user gave next to no information on their setup other than the flash-player version. Note the information I gave in my post #23 above. I happen to think the flash and firefox version, were there any video plugins in firefox, HOW the RC2 install was done,

>>
>> Installed as an inplace upgrade from 11.2 RC1 -> RC2
>>

the graphic hardware, and graphic driver,

>>
>> NVIDIA GeForce GO 7950GT using NVIDIA’s native 190.42 driver.
>> problem occurs using the nv driver also.
>>

all might be relevant. But that information was not given other than a half hearted attempt in post#14. I tried to suggest this tactfully by putting a LOT of the possibly useful information in my post as to what info should be passed in return, but clearly that tact is too tactful and not helpful here, as no one “caught the drift” that more info is likely needed. …"

>>
>> Need anything else, just holler. Back to The Gods of Eden…:slight_smile:
>> oao

Note, disabling compiz and using metacity fixes the issue. I tried downgrading to the MozillaFirefox 3.5.3 version and using the compiz on 11.2 RC1 but that did not work.

So, I’m guessing that it may be the Xorg driver.

Another InfoWarrior! And a Linux user!

I see!:slight_smile:
Ok, the link is perfect here .
On the side, the wife got the vaccine already, she works in the hospital.

Yes and Yes. :slight_smile:

I removed the nspluginwrapper RPM and rebuilt the NVIDIA 190.42 driver, restart my session and its working now using compiz. Tried 3 sites that were problematic before.

Good news;)

I have some problems with flash
Sometimes sound doesnt work on any flash video player on any browser.
Restarting opepenSUSE solves it, restarting wraper process doesnt
I have 64bit openSUSE

S | Name                | Summary                                           | Type
--+---------------------+---------------------------------------------------+--------
i | flash-player        | Adobe Flash PlugIn and standalone Player          | package
i | pullin-flash-player | Placeholder for Adobe Flash PlugIn                | package

That suggests to me that some other multimedia application has seized your PC’s audio and has not let go of it.

To test this hypothesis of mine, next time this happens, instead of restarting your PC, restart your alsa sound driver with:
**su -c ‘rcalsasound restart’
**and enter root password when prompted for a password. Then restart your mixer (kmix in kde and alsamixer in gnome) and then check if your flash audio works.

You are right

Indeed that does support my hypothesis that an application has seized the audio device, and is not letting go of it (although that is not a conclusive test).

What you could do is try and determine what application is seizing the audio device, and not letting go of the device, so that other applications can not access the audio device.

If you look at the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide here: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - determining which application is using the sound device - openSUSE you will note you can determine what application is using your audio sound device at any one time by typing:

lsof /dev/dsp* /dev/audio* /dev/mixer* /dev/snd/*

In order to use this command to good purpose, you need to characterize/understand what its output is giving you. Hence save the output in a text file, with an appropriate label/description noting what application you were using to play audio at the time. Do this many times, and then compare the content of the different files.

To get a look at the sort of investigation one can do, please examine this thread: sound stop working after updating on asus k50in - openSUSE Forums

Now its not as complex as that thread might make you think.

Some basics you need to know wrt Linux sound. Typically Linux sound daemons/servers ONLY allow one application at a time to access the sound device/hardware. If that application is badly behaved, and does not let go of the device (when the application is closed) then no other applications can access the device. It may be worth your reading up on some sound concepts: Sound-concepts - openSUSE

Note that the alsa application is both an audio driver, and also provides an API (the alsa API). Not all desktops nor multimedia applications will use the alsa API. They ALL use the alsa sound driver. One advantage of the alsa API is it will allow sharing of audio between applications. ie if multimedia application-a is using the alsa API and multimedia application-b is using the alsa API, then they both will be able to access the audio device at the same time and hence they both will be able to play sound at the same time. Pulse audio was supposed to provide the same capability, but pulse audio has bugs.

On my PCs, I have changed the output sound engines in all applications to use the “xine” sound engine and where selectable to use the alsa API (sometimes just labelled “alsa” or “advanced linux sound architecture” as opposed to OSS, or aRts, or esound). I have also used the application xine-ui to ensure my xine is using the alsa API.

Hence for example, when I play amarok, I get audio. I can also launch smplayer, and get audio playing out of smplayer at the same time as amarok.

Ok this is an extensive and clear response,
Amarok was in conflict with flash player, and pulse was suppose to eliminate that.

On my PCs, I have changed the output sound engines in all applications to use the “xine” sound engine and where selectable to use the alsa API (sometimes just labelled “alsa” or “advanced linux sound architecture” as opposed to OSS, or aRts, or esound). I have also used the application xine-ui to ensure my xine is using the alsa API.

This is the way I will configure it, but since its 3 days to final release Ill do a clean install and WONT install pulse audio this time.
I have an creative 7.1 24bit integrated card so thats acting weird on its own.

Flash would not work on Firefox on aa new install of 11.2 even though it was installed I found that in the Tools > add ons > plugins . everything was disabled .just enabled everything and all works :wink: Hope this helps someone.