Firefox extremely slow (OpenSuse 11.3)

Hi Folks,

my Firefox is broken. Updated to latest 3.6.8 (Repo: Mozilla) with no effect. Killed my .mozilla directory and created brand new profile with no effect. OS is OpenSuse 11.3 (x64).
While starting up, firefox seems to render really slow and does not accept interactions meanwhile, though it does not eat up lots of my CPU - it seems to wait for something? After loading the initial website completely, the URL- and Tab-Bars react as normal, but if I click on the menu bar, it takes about 20 seconds until the menu pops up.
What else can I test?
Your help is very much apreciated!

BR
Thomas

I’m sorry I can’t help, but I have the exact same problem on a freshly installed and updated 11.3 x86_64.

I noticed that both Firefox and Thunderbird have problems with menu’s (right click or regular menus both take ~20 seconds to appear).

Keyboard short-cuts such as CTRL-T or CTRL-W work as expected (ie. a new tab is opened / closed immediately)… CTRL-Q doesn’t - it waits for about 20 second before the confirmation dialog pops up…

Any ideas?

Danilo

Installed a Flash via Yast (not Adobe Flash- cautious of this because I believe that I may have gotten nasty viruses in Windoze via that door). Don’t know the exact name of the pkg in the repository. Can’t look it up. Currently, there is some type of repository linkage problem from here… Anyways, it sucked up CPU like crazy - 100% according to the Gnome System Monitor. It was immediately uninstalled - and everything was fine again.

In my case there was close to no CPU usage…

But I did find out something - I used ‘strace’ to see what Firefox is doing and found out that everytime I click on some menu (or a new dialog opens), strace shows some TCP connection to 127.0.0.1, port 4713. A bit of Googling revealed that 4713 is used by ‘PulseAudio’, which wasn’t installed by default.

After installing pulseaudio Firefox seems to work well - not so sure about other audio apps (Amarok etc.).

Danilo

I’ve upgraded to 11.4 and now I have this issue too. And yes, when I start pulseaudio, the lag is gone. But I do not want to use pulseaudio, but with Firefox I have to? I didn’t have this problem before though (even with Firefox 4.0b12 etc). Maybe upgrading Firefox to 4.0 is to blame?

I also find firefox to be extremely slow in 11.4 so I installed Chrome and it is running very quickly, running at a speed I would expect. Firefox is still slow so I would assume it is a firefox problem?

You mean it’s slow as menus showing up lag multiple seconds etc?

Not slow to load the browser itself,but slow as if I were using a 56k modem at a very busy time when I’m using a fast cable connection.I’m finding Chrome to still be lightning fast loading and connecting to web pages after a reboot, and a few hours time.Firefox is still morbidly slow! lol

Got similar issue with FF4 beta on openSUSE 11.4… It takes to much in “conecting” status for every website I request.

I think that’s another issue in this case.

On 03/15/2011 05:36 AM, faco84 wrote:
>
> Got similar issue with FF4 beta on openSUSE 11.4… It takes to much in
> “conecting” status for every website I request.
>
>
that sounds like it might be an IPv6 problem…

you can try turning off IPv6 in the system by adding

ipv6.disable=1

as a boot option at the end of the kernel line used for normal boot in
/boot/grub/menu.lst (you can do that in YaST or carefully with a root
powered file editor)

and in firefox (i’m not certain about in beta 4, but this worked in FF
v 3) type:

about:config

in the address bar, press enter then search for

disable ipv6

Double click to set value to true if currently set to false.

finally, you may not see any change at all until after a reboot…

more, and the same thing said in different ways in many previous
postings…if you are confused, seek them…like
http://tinyurl.com/yg4utvs

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11