Few Questions

So… KVM? Can I update the BIOS from Win 10 guest? (Doubtful.) What about SSD firmware? How about COA activation?

You cannot typically flash update the hardware BIOS… At least not without some extreme configuration and any attempt would be extremely hazardous.

SSD firmware is a hardware issue, so is something you would manage in the HostOS.
To the Guest, the file system is virtualized, so is very removed from firmware issues.

Yes,
Software license activations as required would be executed exactly the same way within the Guest as if installed directly on bare metal.

TSU

On Mon 13 Mar 2017 02:46:02 PM CDT, tsu2 wrote:

You cannot typically flash update the hardware BIOS… At least not
without some extreme configuration and any attempt would be extremely
hazardous.

SSD firmware is a hardware issue, so is something you would manage in
the HostOS.
To the Guest, the file system is virtualized, so is very removed from
firmware issues.

Yes,
Software license activations as required would be executed exactly the
same way within the Guest as if installed directly on bare metal.

TSU

Hi
Depends on the hardware, for a lot of HP systems, you can update flash
via USB device, SSD firmware, depends on the brand, I like OCZ because
the provide a bootable iso image to manage SSD firmware.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.38-50-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

BIOS COA is not detected since virtualized. How would I go about retrieving from host?

You may have to describe exactly what you are trying to do…

If this is a new install and Windows is the OS, then the COA is supposed to gather identifiers from a number of different possible parameters, so the BIOS should not be a critical problem.

But,
If you’re doing something like a P2V conversion, then the COA could very well be a problem and may require complete or partial re-installation, but that isn’t different than doing a hardware to hardware migration. MS has many different types of licenses so if for instance you have an OEM license then your copy of Windows is not supposed to leave the hardware it was originally installed on.

You may need to call the MS anti-Piracy hotline and explain what you are trying to do.
If what you’re doing is obviously an attempt to remain compliant in spirit, then they’ll give you guidance how to address your problem.

TSU

Kay, rig came with Win 8.1 I upgraded to 10, obviously violating licensce if not auto activate. Will place the call. Running Tumbleweed with 10 guest. 10 was the original OS but now virtualised on same hardware.

On further troubleshooting I have installed 10 Pro & not Home.

I removed SSD & installed WWAN under Linux so Windows would need to reactivate. I showed MS support tech my original purchase reciept and he handed me a new activation code.