"Fatal: module nvidia not found" -- but nvidia GPU is switched off by BIOS -- how to get rid of warn

The other day I had such a helpfull conversation with hank_se, but the crash of the database swallowed it all and even the NSA did not provide a backup.

My question was:

I’ve got a Thinkpad T420s with this optimus nonsense: a integrated Intel GPU and a discrete Nvidia card. The Nvidia card is connected to the display port. Once in a while I need the display port, e.g. for presentations on large flat screens.

So for everyday work I like switch on in BIOS the integrated card, but if necessary, I’d like to reboot, change the BIOS settings to use the NVIDIA, and go on.

The BIOS has all the options I need, but I do not know, whether I can have all necessary files installed at the same time for just switching in the BIOS.

And the laptop is running on Tumbleweed.

We found out that one has to install the nvidia driver from the nividia repo, but not from the bumblebee repo. And indeed, the BIOS of the Thinkpad allows switching between nvidia and intel gpu, as long as optimus is disabled in the BIOS.

And you need a script:

OK, so far it works beautyfully and I’m happy with it. Except, if I switch to the intel gpu (and turn off in the BIOS the descrete gpu = nvidia) and I boot the machine, I get 25 times the warning “FATAL: module nvidia not found”, and the screen has a wrong resolution, until X starts. After the start of X, everything is allright.

Any ideas, why the kernel looks for a switched off nvidia gpu?

Ok, this is not a serious issue at all, but, you know, it would be nice to know…

On 2013-09-02 15:16, cookie170 wrote:
>
> The other day I had such a helpfull conversation with ‘hank_se’
> (https://forums.opensuse.org/members/hank_se.html), but the crash of the
> database swallowed it all and even the NSA did not provide a backup.

This?
Subject: Switch alternativley in BIOS between integrated Intel and
discrete Nvidia and start-- possible?

I have it entirely via nntp, I could forward it here again, if you
want/need. Or send me an email via private message and I forward it
complete via email to you, then you do as you wish with it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Well, thank you, I did my very best to summarise the question and the solution of that thread, so it is probably not necessary.

Cheers,

Alexander

Does this also happen if you reboot into Intel mode a second time?

Yes. I use Nvidia rarely, so I did not change anything in the BIOS.