Failure of "Konsole" thru' 'No protocol specified'

A few days ago the Konsole on Tumbleweed became unusable. It had been running perfectly well; I had been using it but closed it down while I went off and worked at something else; when I tried to re-open it, during the same session, it started opening multiple windows, totally filling the screen, each one bearing the logo “No protocol specified”.

I’ve hunted around on the internet and found a few references to the “Nps” message, most of which, I confess, I didn’t understand & didn’t seem to be relevant to me anyway. I’ve fired up the Gnome terminal but I don’t like much. I want to get back to Konsole.

I’ve tried removing & re-installing Konsole (nbg) and also I have rather hoped that the Tumbleweed updates I’ve done might correct something (no). If anyone would be interested I have backups of the output from the updates but they are seriously long documents - there are close to 1000 items thru’ August…

I’m at my wits end! Ok,. I could simply expunge & reload Tumbleweed, though that seems defeatest; I can soldier on with Gnome-Terminal but I don’t want to; and I cant help thinking that writing a protocol can’t be that complicated (although advice on that seems thin on the internet).

Any advice will be gladly received.

dmk

Try a test user may be a problem in your cofig files

And how exactly are trying to start Konsole?

Does it work if you run “konsole” in xterm e.g.?

Wolfi - Thanks for your reply - Xterm runs fine. I’ve never used it because, in comparison with Konsole, it’s always seemed limited but yes Xterm & Gnome-Terminal are both good. I tried running Konsole from within Xterm but got the same screenful of “Nps” messages.

dmk:(

There’s possibly something broken in the configuration for “konsole”. And I’m referring to your personal configuration (user settings).

The configuration uses: “~/.config/konsolerc”
and one or more profiles in directory “~/.local/share/konsole”

If you just want to get it working, then try:

cd
rm .config/konsolerc
rm .local/share/konsole/*.*

That should get you back to the initial setup of “konsole”.

If you want to debug this, then you could instead rename the files and directories, and later compare the old version with the new versions.

nrickert - Thanks for that, I’ll have a butchers toot and sweet BUT I logged on for something which may well have some bearing on the matter!

This afternoon I installed ‘gparted’ to do something but I couldn’t get it to run so tried launching from the Gnome-Terminal:

Bash - 4.4.23 : gparted
Unit boot.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit sysroot.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit usr-share.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit usr.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit var.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
No protocol specified
No protocol specified

Well I never! I’m on to your comments right away and will get back shortly

Thanks again

dmk

There must be something else going on. Apparently that “No protocol specified” is not just konsole.

As a test, I just tried “gparted” from a root xterm. And I got a bunch of “does not exist, proceeding anyway” messages. But “gparted” then started.

Hmm, maybe I should try starting as an ordinary user instead of as root: Okay, tried that. It was the same as starting as root, except that I was also asked for the root password. But that prompt for root password was before any of those “does not exist” messages.

Are you running KDE on X11 or are you running it on Wayland? My tests have been with X11.

nrickert - sorry about the delay. I’m afraid “stuff” (i.e a few drinks + dinner) delayed me. However your first answer - “delete ~/.config/konsolerc and one or more profiles in directory ~/.local/share/konsol” - worked fine (apart from the fact that there was no ~/.config/konsolerc) and I now have Konsole back up and running, for which I’m very grateful.

However, the problem with gparted persists but it’s 28 minutes past midnight where I am. Time to take my mug of Horlicks up to bed, don my nightcap & start piling up the Z’s.

Thanks for your help

dmk

nrickert - Sorry, I didn’t answer your question. I have, I’m ashamed to say, no idea of what Wayland is. I would assume I’m working on X11.

dmk

Wayland is an alternative graphic management system that might one day replace X11. Gnome works pretty well on Wayland, but KDE still only has incomplete support.

Yes, you are probably using X11. If you were using Wayland, you would know.

So I fired up KDE on Wayland in Tumbleweed. And “gparted” still works fine here with Wayland.

This evening, for reasons unrelated to this thread, I downloaded the Tumbleweed Rescue CD. And then I booted it up.

I wanted to open an “xterm”, but there was no “xterm” in the menu. So I opened a terminal (XFCE terminal), and I typed

( xterm & )

at the command line.

I got a message “No protocol specified”, which is what connects with this thread. However, the “xterm” opened just fine, so apparently that message did not cause an issue.

Remembering back, there was a time when I was getting a similar message on my Tumbleweed computer, whenever I opened an “xterm”. It did not cause problems, but was annoying. But then the message went away. However, it is back there with the Rescue CD.

nrickert - Back again! Took a bit if time but have set up Konsole which is now running fine. Tried “gparted” thru’ the GUI with zero results so followed your ex [in Konsole & thru’ localhost:~ # ( gparted & )] and

localhost:~ # Unit boot.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit sysroot.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit usr-share.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit usr.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
Unit var.mount does not exist, proceeding anyway.
No protocol specified

libparted : 3.2

, lo & behold, “gparted” is now running sweetly on my desktop!

Well, I don’t quite know what, but it seems we’ve both learned something.

Back in the day, I upgraded from 6.3 to 7.0 (or it may have been 7.0 to 7.1) whichever, it was pretty disasterous and I moved from SuSE to Mandrake for a while.

I’m beginning to like Tumbleweed but I think it’s only fair to expect some of these anomalies from time to time.

I’m extremely grateful for your help!

dmk

I’m glad you have that back working.

Well, I don’t quite know what, but it seems we’ve both learned something.

Yes, I agree.

I’m beginning to like Tumbleweed but I think it’s only fair to expect some of these anomalies from time to time.

Yes, that’s a reasonable assessment.