Failed to narrow the root naming context

Dear Opensuse Forum: I’m trying to run a “universal linux binary” for Salome-platform. There’s some sort of problem with the Naming Service - does this make any sense to anyone? This is under Opensuse 13.1 x64
Thank You :slight_smile:

$ /home/patti/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome                                                                                  
patti@linux-l8th:~/Desktop> /home/patti/salome/appli_V7_4_0/salome                                                        
runSalome running on linux-l8th.site                                                                                      
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 2811 2812 - OK                                                         
Searching  Naming Service  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Failed  to narrow the root naming  context                                                                                
Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                        
  File "/home/patti/salome/appli_V7_4_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 677, in useSalome                                  
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)                                                               
  File "/home/patti/salome/appli_V7_4_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 447, in startSalome                                
    clt=orbmodule.client(args)                                                                                            
  File "/home/patti/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_4_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 47, in __init__ 
    self.initNS(args or {})                                                                                               
  File "/home/patti/salome/Salome-V7_4_0-LGPL-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_4_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 86, in initNS   
    sys.exit(1)                                                                                                           
SystemExit: 1

--- Error during Salome launch ---
patti@linux-l8th:~/Desktop>

http://salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/240170648

Would suggest adding your machines hostname to /etc/hosts but do not add it under 127.0.0.1, add it as 127.0.0.2 - so in your case that would be linux-l8th.

127.0.0.2 linux-l8th
or
127.0.0.2 linux-l8th.site linux-l8th

It might be missing if you do not have “assign hostname to loopback” selected in the YAST network devices.

Wow, thank you very much for the quick reply. Opensuse has a few network-ish quirks in this way. I thought it might be something like that. I will give that a try. The .site extension has haunted me since its inception. Still, Opensuse is an awesome distro. :slight_smile:

Which fix would you recommend? The edit /etc/hosts file or the YAST Network_Devices/Network_Settings edit (to do the latter, I would have to switch to ifup-control - I can’t seem to find this in KDE Network Manager)? I would prefer whichever one yields a setup most compatible with vanilla Linux. (I also need OpenMPI setup correctly and hostnames can be an issue there, also.)

If you want to do it by the book, go to YAST Network Settings like this:

http://i.imgur.com/0za8y9v.jpg

Put checkmark in the Assign hostname to loopback.

Remember, I’m just guessing here based on that forum post and I do not actually use this software.

Hi Again, Miuku: Just for the record here, it took the second of the listed fixes to get Salome to work (after setting up the automated installer). I edited the /etc/hosts file to add

127.0.0.2 linux-l8th.site linux-l8th

…to it. Adding just:

127.0.0.2 linux-l8th

…did not work. Thank you for sharing your skills!!
Patti :slight_smile:

Good to hear it worked, Fedora people at least had similar issues - maybe Debian assigns hostname to loopback by default. Not sure :slight_smile:

On 2014-07-26 20:26, Miuku wrote:
>
> Good to hear it worked, Fedora people at least had similar issues -
> maybe Debian assigns hostname to loopback by default. Not sure :slight_smile:

Notice that doing so breaks another bunch of software - notably postfix.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))