Evolution Searches Slow - Generating Message List

Running openSuse 12.2 and Evolution 3.4.4. Mailbox is a local store POP mailbox. The mailbox is big, though not too large at ~8000 items.

Every time I try to perform a search or click on a search/virtual folder, Evolution displays “Generating message list” and grinds away for over 60 seconds before producing any results. In earlier versions of Evolution, this same mailbox would produce results within a second or two.

I have seen suggestions on the web that it may be due to a memory constrained PC. However, this is not my case, I have ample free RAM(~2GB at the moment) and there is zero swapping(swap used 0).

Does anyone now what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Further details:

I continue to fight this issue. In an attempt to resolve the issue, I performed a backup and restore of my Evolution data, using Evolutions own backup tool. After restoring, the problem continues. However, I have discovered that the checkbox on each folder “Index message body data” is unchecked.

I have tried checking the box repeatedly. Each time, when I restart Evolution, the boxes are unchecked again and my problem remains the same. Additionally, looking at ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local I see files such as Inbox.ibex.index that are unchanged since I upgraded to openSuse 12.2 and Evolution 3.4.4 months ago.

I don’t know if these indexes are no longer used by this version of Evolution or if this is part of my problem.

have you found solution for this issue? I have the same problem on evolution 3.4.4 on Debian Wheezy
thanks!

aaahhh start evolution from command line and you’ll see the problem:

Migrating cached data
Migrating config data
Migrating local user data
  mv /home/user/.evolution/mail/vfolder/folders.db /home/user/.local/share/evolution/mail/vfolder/folders.db
  FAILED: Destination file already exists
  mv /home/user/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db /home/user/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/folders.db
  FAILED: Destination file already exists
  rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail/vfolder
  FAILED: El directori no és buit (contents follows)
          folders.db
  rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail/local
          folders.db
  rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail
          vfolder
          local

so:

mv /home/user/.evolution/mail/vfolder/folders.db /tmp/vfolder.folders.db
mv /home/user/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db /tmp/local.folders.db
rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail/vfolder/
rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail/local/
rmdir /home/user/.evolution/mail/

:smiley: