Error while installing OpenSUSE 11.4 on RAID0 array

Hi, here’s a step by step of what I’m doing and what error I get…

In the BIOS I have “SATA Mode” set to RAID.

Next, I go into the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (CTRL+I on boot)

1. Create RAID
  2. Name it “Stripe”
  3. Set Type to RAID0 (Stripe)
  4. Accept default 128KB stripe size and 238.5GB capacity
  5. Create volume

Next I boot off the OpenSUSE 11.4 DVD

The installer asks me: “Do you want MD Partionable RAID subsystem to manage those partitions” and I answer yes.

• Went with “Partition based” with all defaults

• Create swap volume /dev/md126p1 (2.01 GB)
    • Create root volume /dev/md126p2 (20.00 GB) with ext4
    • Create volume /dev/md126p3 (216.47 GB) for /home with ext4
  • Boot Loader Type: GRUB

• Status location: /dev/md126p2 ("/")

• Boot from MBR is disabled

• Boot from “/” partition is enabled

• All other “booting” options left at default

During “Perform Installation” it starts with “Preparing disks” and pauses for 1-2 minutes, then I get the error:

YaST2

Failure occured during following action:
Formatting device /dev/md126p2 (10.00 TB) with ext4

System error code was: -3008

/sbin/mke2fs -O dir_index -m5.0 -t ext4 -v ‘/dev/md126p2’:
mke2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
Warning: could not erase sector 2: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
Warning: Could not read block 0: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short read
Warning: could not erase sector 0: Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted in short write
ext2fs_mkdir: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while creating root dir

Continue despite the error?

If I continue, I get dozens more errors like it and install eventually fails.

Any ideas?

Update. If I reboot and reinstall, this time it sees the existing partions and just wants to format them. This time, all the packages are installed and it gets to 92%, when it gets to “Install boot manager” and fails. Here’s the error:

YaST2

Error occured while installed GRUB.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640k lower / 3072K upper memory)

grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0,1) (hd0,1)
Checking if “/boot/grub/stage1” exists… yes
Checking if “/boot/grub/stage2” exists… yes
Checking if “/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5” exists … yes
Running “embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,1)”… failed (this is not fatal)
Running “embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0,1)”… failed (this is not fatal)
Running "install --force-lba --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0,1) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst "… failed

Error 22: No such partition
grub> quit

So few more details.

The first error with the partitioning can be resolved if I just use LVM instead. The second error goes away if I install the boot manager to the MBR instead of the /boot partition. With that, the system installs and reboots, however on first boot it immediately crashes with:

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while…
No volume groups found
volume group “system” not found
volume group “system” not found
Could not find /dev/system/root.
Want me to fall back to /dev/system/root (Y/n)

Selecting “No” will exit back to the GRUB shell.

Yes will get in an endless loop of "Volume group “system” not found until I feel like pressing the reset button.

Sounds like FAKE RAID (BIOS assisted). It seems that some chip sets can be made to work and others may not. I recommend software RAID since it is as fast as FAKE (the OS as to manage it) or real hardware RAID.

Any particular reason you want RAID0? It makes disk failures twice as dangerous.

Reply to goga: Sounds like a valid point… Perhaps you can recommend a good hardware SATA3 raid controller that’ll work out of the box? No rush though, I just installed it as two drives with no software RAID for now and have this machine running pretty awesome now - so I’m in no hurry for a re-format any time soon :slight_smile:

Reply to ken: Raw speed. Most of the data on this machine is more transient in nature, I put most of my stuff on a 4TB NAS that’s RAID5. If a drive fails it’s probably not the end of the world… But maybe I’d have a different opinion if I were in that boat and had a bunch of uncommitted code heh.

BTW, I tried to go the software RAID route and for some reason, the partitioner sees the second hard drive as 1KB. I can’t create a software RAID due to this. However, when I booted I could create and mount a new partition on that drive with its full size. So I just gave up on RAID for now, I’m liking this just fine…

It’s only twice as fast on average. If you want a significant speed boost you could get a SSD. Anyway for commonly used files, the RAM cache will be doing the heavy lifting.

I have exactly the same problem as imaudi when installing 11.4 on my raid 0 volume with the same Grub configuration.
I keep all my partitions as they are except the install partition that i ask for formating.
Packages installation is ok but grub fail to install saying that the partition is not found.
After reviewing the grub config without more success i skip the grub install and continue.
Of course, when the sytem reboot the pc freeze, grub does not start. But i have another linux partition with grub and opensuse 11.3 with an entry pointing to vmlinux and initrd of by 11.4 partition so i activate it (using my rescue usb key) and reboot.
Booting 11.4 start and tell me that /dev/disk/by-id /… is not found but it can go back to /dev/md126p2. I answer yes and linux start normaly (except for other partitions that it cannot mount for the same reason).

Looking in /dev/disk/by-id i found a link to the raid volume but no link to all the partitions. After network configuration and and addition of the update repository i start the update with yast. After that i reboot, the same method and, fortunatly, i retrieve the configuration panel and the installation continue with the automatic configuration.

Everything works normally, my raid partitions are well known but it’s not the simple way to install.

Because i love problems ! I restart the 11.4 installation but when it asks me: “Do you want MD Partionable RAID subsystem to manage those partitions” i answer NO.
I see that dmraid was started (and not mdraid) and 11.4 is installed without problem.

Conclusion, it seems that there is a problem with mdraid included on the DVD distribution.