Error accessing YaST

This is the error I’m getting when I try to load YaST:

terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘YUIPluginException’
what(): Couldn’t load plug-in gtk
YaST got signal 6 at YCP file Wizard.ycp:691
/sbin/yast2: line 440: 4642 Aborted $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS
/usr/share/themes/Sonar/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:88: error: unexpected identifier progressbarstyle', expected character }’

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated, and I’m a new linux user so please go easy on me

Seems like this might be a problem with your gtk install or your current gnome theme (you’re running a gnome desktop, right?)

Try, from a root command line

yast --qt

Or, if you don’t have the qt/kde libs installed

yast --ncurses

Yes, i’m running gnome desktop. On running either of the 2 root commands i’m able to access YaST. Is there a fix to this or i have to keep to using root commands to access YaST?

This sort of thing has happened to me when I messed with my KDE installation (ie upgraded a few packages). I used the gtk version until I got around to refreshing my packages.

I don’t really know a good cookbook procedure for doing that. What I wound up doing was waiting for the next big release of KDE, which fixed things.

I THINK there’s a separate package for the GTK and Qt interface for YAST. You could try re-installing the GTK package and the packages it requires, and that might fix things.

Thanks, i’ll try do that. If it doesn’t work i’ll just stick to kde until a patch is availed to fix this error.