Epson Stylus SX205 printer

Hello,

i’m trying to configure my SX205 printer.
It is well reconized, and Gutenprint driver are available. But the printer dose’t work, here are the error messages :

The PPD version (6341210) is not compatible with Gutenprint 5.2.5.

I am on opensuse 11.3; so the gutenprint version is 5.2.4, i don’t know why it talk about 5.2.5.

I have tried cups-genppdupdate but it doesn’t change anything.

The gutenprint drivers can be problematic for some Epson printer models. There is an Epson driver available from Avasys:

All-in-Ones (Multifunction Inkjet Printers) | AVASYS CORPORATION

Try using that instead.

Great thanks!
This fixed my fathers Epson Stylus SX125 printer in Open Suse 11.3.
I had really no idea how to install an RPM but in Open Suse 11.3 Firefox opens the RPM with the right application and it installs without any problems. In earlier version of Open Suse it wasn’t this easy.

But really. I have no idea. Why does this company make drivers for Epson printers and not Epson? What’s the deal here?
And why does Open Suse printer configuration recognize my printer but doesn’t find any drivers for it in the first place?

Great thanks!
This fixed my fathers Epson Stylus SX125 printer in Open Suse 11.3.
I had really no idea how to install an RPM but in Open Suse 11.3 Firefox opens the RPM with the right application and it installs without any problems.

Good for you :slight_smile:

Why does this company make drivers for Epson printers and not Epson? What’s the deal here?

SEIKO EPSON Corporation contracted with AVASYS to provide linux drivers. Not that unusual to outsource work like this.

And why does Open Suse printer configuration recognize my printer but doesn’t find any drivers for it in the first place?

Not all models (even if detected) are supported properly (or at all) by the freely included gutenprint drivers.

MrViklund wrote:

>
> Great thanks!
> This fixed my fathers Epson Stylus SX125 printer in Open Suse 11.3.
> I had really no idea how to install an RPM but in Open Suse 11.3
> Firefox opens the RPM with the right application and it installs
> without any problems. In earlier version of Open Suse it wasn’t this
> easy.
>
> But really. I have no idea. Why does this company make drivers for
> Epson printers and not Epson? What’s the deal here?
> And why does Open Suse printer configuration recognize my printer but
> doesn’t find any drivers for it in the first place?
>
Here’s a link to the SX205 driver supplied by AVASYS:
http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/download/lsb/epson-inkjet/escpr/

Russ
openSUSE 11.3 (2.6.34.7-0.5-default)|KDE 4.5.3 Release 10|
Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS

Here’s a link to the SX205 driver supplied by AVASYS:
日本のものづくりをITで支援する|アヴァシス株式会社](http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/do…-inkjet/escpr/)

Your a little behind the eight ball. MrViklund has already located and installed the correct driver for their SX125 printer. :slight_smile: