Epiphany browser not working

YAGQ: Yet another Gnome question.

I’d like to use the Epiphany/Web browser in gnome if I could–it looks very nice and is advertises as having nice Firefox integration–syncing of bookmarks, passwords, and even open tabs. But whenever I launch Epiphany (aka Web) it freezes and I have to log out. Does anyone use Web as their regular browser?

Hi
If you start epiphany from the command line do you see and errors? Are you running wayland or x11? What graphics driver in use?

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"

Posting this from Tumbleweed and Epiphany…

Thanks for your reply.

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE 
wayland 

and:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D" 
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 [8086:5917] (rev 07) 
    DeviceName: Onboard IGD 
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:83b2] 
    Kernel driver in use: i915 

When I try to run epiphany from the command line I get the same result: the browser locks up and I have to force quit:

epiphany 
Killed 

No error messages.

Hi
So if you log out and select the other GNOME (or GNOME on Xorg) how does epiphany perform?

So if you log out and select the other GNOME (or GNOME on Xorg) how does epiphany perform?

It behaves the same on all of them–Epiphany locks up, sometimes forcing me to do a hard re-boot.

Hi
Ok, if you create a test user and login as the test user, still the same?

I just created a new user and Epiphany is working perfectly–I’m using it right now. Actually the whole gnome desktop seems improved–firefox looks better, etc. What would be the best way to proceed now? Delete my normal user and set up a new one? Or could I copy some config file from the test user to my normal user?

Hi
Something is corrupted somewhere at a user level and in you home directory… If you can do that, delete your old user and re-create using I’m assuming id 1000 all should be good. backup any important data first!

Thanks for your advice, Malcolm. Since KDE is working pretty well I might just stick with it rather than try to re-create things just for the sake of getting gnome to work. I’m wondering if I might also be able to clean up my home partition by running Fsck from a live ubuntu installation on a usb stick.

Hi
Your probably better off to use a Tumbleweed Live or the Tumbleweed Rescue USB if you want to do that. It may be some sort of Plasma/Gnome conflict somewhere or theming…

Thanks, Malcolm. I’ll try the tumbleweed rescue option. There does seem to be some sort of plasma/gnome glitch. For example, firefox in plasma works fine and looks good. But in gnome it sometimes doesn’t render pages correctly. On this webstie, for example, when I run firefox in gnome the formatting options for replying to messages–e.g. wrapping quotes or code tags around selected text–are all displayed as text inside boxes rather than as icons. That is,rather than displaying “#” , firefox in gnome shows “wrap code tags around selected text.” I wonder if I completely purged and reinstalled firefox if that would improve things.

Don’t do that.

Instead, try creating a new user profile. You can do that with:

firefox -P

at a terminal command line (“konsole” or “Gnome Terminal” or similar).

If the new profile works better, you can make that the default.

Instead, try creating a new user profile. You can do that with:

I tried another option–“refreshing” firefox, which set everything back to default and that seems to have fixed the firefox problems in gnome. Now firefox renders pages correctly.

Thanks for letting me know about new user profile option. If I do try that at some point would I be able to import the settings from my old user profile into the new one, bookmarks, passwords, history, etc?

(Still wish I could get epiphany to work. It looks like a nice browser.)

Yes. You would just need to find the old profile directory, and copy the parts that you want into the new profile directory.

I think that’s pretty much what you did when refreshing firefox, except that the old profile directory was renamed.

Thanks–that’s good to know.

Posting this from Tumbleweed and Epiphany…

[/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind another question, Malcolm, have you managed to get mouse gestures to work in Epiphany? I turned them on in preferences but I didn’t see any configuration options. I don’t have an actual mouse–just a touchpad.

If you don’t mind another question, Malcolm, have you managed to get mouse gestures to work in Epiphany? I turned them on in preferences but I didn’t see any configuration options. I don’t have an actual mouse–just a touchpad.

Hi
Don’t have a laptop with Tumbleweed running at the moment, so only mouse…

Okay–thanks. Searching the web it seems like the mouse gestures in Epiphany are limited to middle click which won’t be so useful in my case.