Embedded videos in webpages do not play after recent Tumbleweed updates

Hello openSUSErs,

I have noticed that since a couple of days ago I cannot watch some embedded videos in webpages (for example Reddit, Twitter, Linkedin). These will either not show or fail to start after first frame and flicker on-off. There have been quite a few updates to nvidia and codecs recently so it is not easy for me to track what may have caused this exactly. Firefox and Chromium both show the same behaviour. In Linkedin, for example, I also get this message “The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.” on both Firefox and Chromium. Youtube on the other hand works fine.

This is only a minor annoyance and not a problem for me, but perhaps someone else more knowledgeable than me has experienced this and has a hint on a solution?

Some relevant information below.

Thanks!

# inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] driver: nvidia v: 525.85.05
  Device-2: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.org v: 1.21.1.6 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: nvidia,nvidia-nvswitch
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.85.05 renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT
    1030/PCIe/SSE2
# zypper se --installed-only nvidia
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                          | Summary                                                               | Type
---+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
i  | kernel-firmware-nvidia        | Kernel firmware files for Nvidia Tegra and graphics drivers           | package
i  | libnvidia-egl-wayland1        | The EGLStream-based Wayland external platform                         | package
i  | nvidia-compute-G06            | NVIDIA driver for computing with GPGPU                                | package
i  | nvidia-compute-utils-G06      | NVIDIA driver tools for computing with GPGPU                          | package
i  | nvidia-driver-G06-kmp-default | NVIDIA graphics driver kernel module for GeForce 700 series and newer | package
i+ | nvidia-gl-G06                 | NVIDIA OpenGL libraries for OpenGL acceleration                       | package
i  | nvidia-utils-G06              | NVIDIA driver tools                                                   | package
i+ | nvidia-video-G06              | NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 700 series and newer               | package

Did you check the basics, as example vendor switch of packman? Repeat this.
https://en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories#Packman

2 Likes

Thank you, that was the problem.