e1000e driver problems on Asus Maximus 7 mobo

This is a new build system with a fresh install of OpenSUSE 13.1.

I did the install yesterday from the installation disc, which resulted in no ethernet drivers being installed for my e1000e. lspci showed the device was present but with no driver and it was not registered in /sys/bus.

I booted up a Ubuntu live system, which found my device and successfully installed the e1000e driver for it, so at least I knew that there was support for my device in Linux. After a quick google I found a post that suggested trying the following command

modprobe e1000e
echo "8086 15a1" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/e1000e/new_id

which I did do but still no joy. So I downloaded and installed e1000e- from the Intel site then reapplied the previous command to register the device on /sys/bus and after a reboot, instantly had a working Ethernet device. So then I did a online update which upgraded my system to 3.11.10-21.1 and immediately broke my networking. So I rebuilt e1000e- only this time I did not have to write the e1000e device id to /sys/bus as the updated system did at least find and register the device. Having inserted the driver using modprobe I now have a working ethernet device that presists through boots.

Just wondering if anyone else has got this ethernet device working on the new ASUS mobo to point out my glaring mistake before I post this as a bug.

The motherboard in question is a ASUS Maximus VII Forumla, 1150 socket with Z97 chipset.


0000:00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V [8086:15a1]
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:85c4]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e


12: PCI 19.0: 0200 Ethernet controller                          
  [Created at pci.319]
  Unique ID: wcdH.EjAenvi25bA
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:19.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:00:19.0
  Hardware Class: network
  Model: "Intel Ethernet controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
  Device: pci 0x15a1 
  SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
  SubDevice: pci 0x85c4 
  Driver: "e1000e"
  Driver Modules: "e1000e"
  Device File: eno1
  Memory Range: 0xdf900000-0xdf91ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xdf938000-0xdf938fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  I/O Ports: 0xf040-0xf05f (rw)
  IRQ: 62 (708859 events)
  HW Address: 78:24:af:36:8d:62
  Link detected: yes
  Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d000015A1sv00001043sd000085C4bc02sc00i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: e1000e is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe e1000e"
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

OpenSUSE version 3.11.10-21.1

The only reason I chose the e1000e- driver is because it is the only one that actually lists the i218-V in it’s supported device list.

Last thing to mention/admit is that I have not updated the UEFI on the mobo as I have only had it a week and just finished benching under Windoze where of course everything works fine. I’m loathe to mess about with UEFI on a working system unless I really absolutley have to :shame:

Considering you were able to reproduce the issue on multiple kernels, on a fully updated system and were able to apply a bandaid by upgrading the driver - I’d say this definitely warrants a bug report.

The new 3.16 kernels from Tumbleweed most likely have newer drivers and fix the issue but you should definitely report this.