Dynex bgdtc, ndiswrapper and ssb problems

I have a Dynex Wireless g (model bgdtc) that is not working well under openSUSE. openSUSE detects it as BCM4318 Airforce One 54g. By default it was using the ssb module for the driver, and could not connect to the wireless network even with no security setup on the router. I then installed ndiswrapper and the windows xp driver for the dynex card. In the network settings, I entered ‘ndiswrapper’ for the module, replacing ssb. It still can’t connect to the wireless network.

I went to the hardware information area in Yast and in there I found the following information:

BCM4318 Airforce One 54g
driver: ndiswrapper
drivers: modprobe yes
modules: modprobe ssb

So even with ndiswrapper set in the network setting as the module to load its still using ssb module. I’ve added ssb to the modprobe.d/blacklist file, and added b43 and b44 as I read these sometimes load ssb as well. Still no luck. I did modprobe -r ssb, and ndiswrapper then loaded ndiswrapper and still nothing.

How can I force openSUSE to use the ndiswrapper driver and not load the SSB module?

By default it was using the ssb module for the driver, and could not connect to the wireless network even with no security setup on the router.

And you installed the correct firmware before you tried with the native driver?

This chipset (BCM 4318) works very well with the native driver, but of course you need the firmware.

Read also the stickies in this subforum, they contain information on how to install the firmware and what to do for troubleshooting.

Ndiswrapper should be the last solution and I am sure it is not necessary.

Thanks for the quick reply. I uninstalled the ndiswrapper driver and modprobe -r ndiswrapper. I then removed the blacklist entries and rebooted. Now the network wizard doesn’t detect my wireless card. I tried a modprobe ssb and I get a fatal error that the ssb.ko isn’t found. Any ideas?

Done these yet ?

Andy

Yes, read the stickies in this subforum and provide more information.

The module ssb is already in the kernel, if you did not remove it, it must be there.

find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name ssb.ko

/lib/modules/2.6.27.21-0.1-default/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko

Q.E.D.

Thanks for the replies and the patience. I consider myself an expert when it comes to Windows but this is my first venture to Linux and I’m pretty ignorant but learning…

I can’t find the ssb.ko on the drive. I’ve tried the lines you posted and the search and nothing comes up. Secondly since I’ve ran the updates on this machine, when openSUSE boots, I get 4 options. 2 safe modes, a default mode and a pae mode. When I try to load default, it gives me a bunch of text like a console and doesn’t load the desktop. So I’m using PAE at the moment and honestly don’t know what that is but I got a desktop environment…

Maybe I nuked this thing and need to wipe it and start over…

Pretty ignorant when it comes to “do what people tell you to do” hits the spot.

Still no information, you certainly have not read the stickies as suggested three times now, so what do you expect?

If the module is missing, reinstall the respective kernel packages, this is linux, “expert windows methods” like reinstalling the whole OS because of one missing module are not required.

Explain why I would attempt to install a firmware if the SSB.ko is missing?

Before I installed ndiswrapper and the driver, the wireless card was being detected in the network settings area. Now its not! I was trying to solve that issue first before I moved on…

Because you will need both.

And the stickies also tell you how to provide more information, if you had read them, you would know.

Don’t you need the device to be detected in order to read the boot log file to see what firmware it needs?

No, you don’t, but you will need the module ssb to use the card. I already told you how to solve that issue.

You said to reinstall the module. Sounds simple enough but without commands useless. Hopefully google will be able to help.

Reading would also help.

WHAT PACKAGE IS SSB.KO? Reading your replies is about as good as listening someone speak a foreign language.

I’ve looked on the software manager for SSB, WIRELESS, DRIVERS, it doesn’t show up.

I’ve tried using the command line with zypper install, ssb does not exist.

It’s no wonder people don’t give linux a chance, there’s some kind of arrogance problem in the community.

I already told you, that ssb is in the kernel, so it’s -as I sad- the respcetive kernel-packages (which I told you twice).

And of course this means, the ones you already have installed, just in case you don’t know what reinstalling means.

And btw, if you use the correct search options with YaST (contains ssb.ko in the file list), you will also find which package contains ssb.ko. for you

I HAVEN’T INSTALLED ANYTHING! I RAN THE SETUP CD AND HERE I AM! I DIDN’T INSTALL ANY PACKAGES…

Once again I’m NEW to linux, I know nothing about kernels, modules, or packages. I’m just trying to get my wireless network card working…

I installed the b43 firmware, but the card is not being detected in the network configuration STILL. It’s being found in the hardware information area but not in the network settings area.

If anyone can help me I’d appreciate it, otherwise I’m about to reinstall openSUSE because that is the only way I know how to fix this problem. Telling me to reinstall the package, or reinstall kernels, or modules without giving me commands to is not going to help me. Thank you.

johnny71 wrote:
> Akoellh;1970212 Wrote:
>> Reading would also help.
>
> WHAT PACKAGE IS SSB.KO? Reading your replies is about as good as
> listening someone speak a foreign language.
>
> I’ve looked on the software manager for SSB, WIRELESS, DRIVERS, it
> doesn’t show up.
>
> I’ve tried using the command line with zypper install, ssb does not
> exist.
>
> It’s no wonder people don’t give linux a chance, there’s some kind of
> arrogance problem in the community.

As Akoellh said, you need to reinstall the kernel package. The reason you need
to do this is that you deleted ssb.ko. It comes with every kernel, which is the
reason I know that you deleted it.

To get the kernel package, open a terminal and enter the command ‘uname -r’.
Remember what that line outputs. Now start YaST and select Software Management.
Search for “kernel”. Then find the one that matches the one from the uname
command, and select it to be reinstalled. Click on the black check until it
becomes a green up arrow. Then accept your changes.

While you are on-line, you should also open a terminal and enter the command

sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware

That will install the firmware. If you have removed ssb from any blacklists,
after you reboot, b43 should be running, and you only need to configure your
connection. I leave the details of that to your research.

How can someone be so resistent to help?

You go to yast, search for “kernel” and reinstall all packages which are already installed.

I HAVEN’T INSTALLED ANYTHING! I RAN THE SETUP CD AND HERE I AM! I DIDN’T INSTALL ANY PACKAGES…

Stop shouting at us, especially when it’s such complete nonsense, of course you installed something (openSUSE) and of course the installer installed packages (what else should it have done? Tell you a fairy tale?)

Thanks for your response, you’ve been very helpful. I did as you said and was given this:

2.6.27.19-3.2-pae

I could not find the PAE version with the “Kernel” search, so I’m installing the default version.

Thanks for the firmware info but I already got that one down.

I’m sorry but I don’t need you’re arrogance or lack of assistance anymore. I’ve clearly stated I’m new to linux, this was my first time installing openSUSE, you expect me to know the packages it installs? I thought maybe there was ONE package for SSB that I could just download and install. I hope you got the kicks and giggles you wanted out of this newbie, but please don’t bother responding anymore. You could have simply answered the question I needed help with but instead you toyed around with me. I’m no longer responding to you or your replies.