DVD Mount Point Help

I hope this is something as quick and dirty as I think it will be (hopefully just a simple mapping). I’ve been having an issue with my DVD drive mounting to /media/<DVD-NAME> simply because most programs are looking for a mount point in /dev/cdrom0. Is there a way to change this so I can do simple things like WINE eject etc. I appreciate any help, thanks.

The device name (and any aliases) are assigned by udev dynamically. For example I have

ls -l /dev/cdrom*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Oct 31 20:39 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Oct 31 20:39 /dev/cdrom1 -> sr0
 ls -l /dev/sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Oct 31 20:39 /dev/sr0

The mount point for removable media is always under the /media directory, and is handled by udisks and the DE.

Is there a way to change this so I can do simple things like WINE eject etc.

I’m don’t know the answer to this question. Someone else may do…

1. you forgot to tell which version of openSUSE.

2. /dev/cdrom0 would be a device special file (when it would exist, which it does not on my system, which has /dev/cdrom which points to /dev/sr0,). Programs using a DVD unit directly a device special file should do this either correctly, or be configurable.

3. /media/<DVD-NAME> is a mount point where the file system on the DVD with volume name DVD-NAME is mounted.

The two things under 2) and 3) are very different. And when you (your program) wants to use the device special file for doing things with the DVD unit, you better see that it is not mounted at the same moment because then two different types of access (direct read/write on the device vs. read/write on any of the files on the file system on the device) could frustrate each other (and leave you with an unusable device).

On 2012-10-31 06:16, gforce6point0 wrote:
>
> I hope this is something as quick and dirty as I think it will be
> (hopefully just a simple mapping). I’ve been having an issue with my DVD
> drive mounting to /media/<DVD-NAME> simply because most programs are
> looking for a mount point in /dev/cdrom0. Is there a way to change this
> so I can do simple things like WINE eject etc. I appreciate any help,
> thanks.

You can never mount at ‘/dev/cdrom0’, that’s a device name. You may,
however, mount ‘/dev/cdrom0’, if it exists, at somewhere else.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Let me play around a bit more with this and see if I can now get the behavior I want out of my DVD player through my programs. I’m using 12.1 by the way.