Dual Monitors Dual Virtual Desktops

Hi,
I have two monitors and a dual head nvidia graphics card.

I would like to know if the following is possible;

Have one virtual desktop on one monitor, and another virtual desktop on the second monitor.

By virtual desktop, I mean the usual 4 you get to use, navigated by the keyboard combo Ctrl + Tab.

I don’t think this is the same as having separate X servers, as then I would have 8 virtual desktops (2*4 virtual desktops).

So, any ideas?

Not sure I fully understand your question, but I did use two separate X-servers once, then Xinerama and now switched to Nvidia TwinView, but I have never seen the possibility to switch a single virtual desktop between the two screens.

I think you want to have 4 virtual desktops and be able to show any two of them on your two screens, right? That would be indeed a nice feature.

Hi STurtle,

“I think you want to have 4 virtual desktops and be able to show any two of them on your two screens, right? That would be indeed a nice feature.”

Indeed, that is exactly what I am after!

Isn’t that what those 4 virtual desktops are for, to increase productivity across workspaces? And that’s also the reason people have two monitors. It surprises me that no one has thought of that before.