Dual boot with Windows 11 issues

I have installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed using the existing EFI of Windows 11 and configured secure boot and full disk encrypt, using TPM2.0 to automatically decrypt the root file system. The Windows 11 disk is encrypted using Bitlocker, and after installing OpenSUSE, Windows asked again for its key. Everything works fine after that, except that if the last system booted was Windows and you boot OpenSUSE with GRUB and it will get stuck! Give it a force shutdown by pressing the power button for a while and then turn on again, then it boots normally. On other occasions, including booting Windows after shutting down OpenSUSE, no unexpected things will happen. I tried to read the logs, but at the stuck the system is launching lots of services successfully, and no WARN or ERROR is shown in stdout. I have no idea what caused this issue. The Fastboot of Windows have been disabled, and I have no idea in what aspect will Windows influence the boot of Linux.

I have in fact no idea about Windows in all it forms, but as there are other problems I saw here that are related to the fact that Windows has a “fast” shutdown/reboot (or maybe different wording) and that are cured when switching that off in Windows, it could be that that also influences this. It seems that it does not a complete shutdown of Windows. So test with switching it off.

1 Like

I’ve switched it off before I install Linux. It doesn’t seem to make sense. Perhaps another feature of Windows is affecting it.

In reality, according to my modest experience, fast boot should be disabled in Windows and in the UEFI bios. Otherwise Windows should remain active when you turn it off and the only way to temporarily disable it is by restarting…

Guide from Lenovo:

But the situation is that the fastboot of Windows has been disabled. Restarting or shutting down Windows will make the same effect to Linux. I am really puzzled since according to my previous experience on dual boot, there should not be anything wrong. I am now suspending the fdectl as I have never used it before.

May I ask something about NVRAM or TPM2.0 PCR? I had some issues with Windows these days and I suppose it is possibly caused by Linux. I reset all BIOS settings to fix the issue with booting Windows, which is provided with my device, often referred to as OEM version of Windows. During the fix, I read something about PCR. May the Windows changed TPM status, or changed the way NVRAM works, which made the boot of Linux incorrect to some extent, but later before the force reboot, the Linux operate system has done something to the relevant hardware, resulting in a successful boot afterwards? I heard of something like PCR0, 2, 4, 11 or 7 11, but I cannot fully understand that. I have also heard other things including NVRAM and TPM check, but I cannot understand them either. Thanks, if anyone could help me.

@szw0407 have a read here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Encrypted_root_file_system and the link to here https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/linux_tpm_pcr_registry/

I would suggest starting a new thread on this…

May I just provide some details? The stuck happens each time while the computer is starting Network Manager, and the Bluetooth seems to have been loaded. A start job is running for Network Manager (15s / 10min 2s) is the final line of STDOUT, but the time will not increase afterwards and no response if I use Ctrl+C, D or Ctrl+F2 to use a new tty screen.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.