Driver for logitech C170 webcam

Using Leap 15.1 with KDE. Up-to-date with all latest updates.
I’ve installed Skype (which works fine just with headphones and microphone). I have now plugged in a Logitech C170 webcam (which includes a microphone) which doesn’t seem to be recognised. This works fine with a Windows system.
I had assumed, without much thought, that when I just plugged it in then it would magically spring to life. Sadly it didn’t.
I suspect I need to install an appropriate driver. Can anyone point me to where such a driver might be found.

As with the vast majority of webcams this has a USB plug.
This model - the C170 - is a slightly less functional (and cheaper) version of the C270. Alternatively you could say the C270 is a slightly beefed up version of the C170.

Many thanks for your help.

Please report back with the output of

usb-devices

This can be used to filter specifically for Logitech device (vendor ID is 046d)…

usb-devices | awk '/046d/{print $0,RT}' RS=

See if a driver is loaded.

FWIW, this skype thread discusses a similar reported issue (same webcam device) and caused by a skypeforlinux bug. Using an older version was mentioned as a workaround.

Thank you for the advice. - here is the output -
*T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=02 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=046d ProdID=082b Rev=28.25
S: Manufacturer=
S: Product=Webcam C170
C: #Ifs= 4 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=0e(video) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=uvcvideo
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=0e(video) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=uvcvideo
I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio
I: If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=01(audio) Sub=02 Prot=00 Driver=snd-usb-audio

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=05 Cnt=02 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=046d ProdID=c52e Rev=23.01
S: Manufacturer=Logitech
S: Product=USB Receiver
C: #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=98mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=usbhid
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usbhid
So it seems the driver is loaded.
Separately, I have checked the audio and visual settings in Skype and the webcam is partly working : the webcam displays what it is pointed at without problems however the microphone doesn’t work. It does work when I use a headset with earpieces and a microphone plugged into the audio out and m/phone sockets respectively.

As to your suggestion to view a separate thread, I looked at this several days ago but it didn’t quite seem to ‘fit’ my circumstances.I’ll give it another look.

Thank you

I’ve checked this out. The OP was asking about the same webcam as myself however the answer referred to a different model. Also the problem there was that the webcam was recognised whereas my is but the microphone isn’t working.
Bearing in mind that the latest versionof Skype is 43 (!) subversions later than the version referred to in the answer I’ll give the suggested solution a try. How do I uninstall my current installation of Skype? I had to use zypper to install it.

whoops. s/was/wasn’t/

For sound try pavucontrol as User.

Thank you for the pointer.

I downloaded pavucontrol and installed it.
After playing about to see what was happening I can report as follows : on the recording tab the Skype input was set to a generic name. The drop-down list showed the C170 webcam so I selected that. Hey presto! - the webcam mike worked in Skype.

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated. I would never have found this on my own.

You can install luvcview (starting in Konsole) or guvcview-qt (graphical named A video viewer and capturer for the linux uvc driver ) to see, if your webcam is working.