Dolphin and Dropbox

I have Leap 42.1 KDE, with Dolphin ver 15.08.02 and Dolphin4 installed

I can’t seem to find how/where to get the Dropbox Menus added under the right click services menu for Dolphin5

The services are there when running Dolphin4, but don’t work; seems Dolphin4 does not see Dropbox app

Anyone solved this yet?

For example, I am trying to get a public URL for a file in my Dropbox/Public folder.
I can get it from the web interface for now, just more convenient via dolphin

this functionality is provided by dropbox servicemenu which as far as I’m aware isn’t (yet?) available in Leap. (and to be honest, hasn’t been updated in years - last release I think was 2011 - so is broken for any dropbox account created post 2013)

Thanks for comment.
I did a Package Search and dropbox-servicemenu 0.16.1 was shown as available for 42.1.
I reloaded it (same version was already installed, but red because it’s original repo no longer active)
but failed to look - it is still installing services in /usr/share/kde4/, so likely re-enables services for dolphin4 running on 42.1 version.

So I need to keep an eve out for the dolphin5 package.

Where might service files for Plasma5 be located?
I hope not under a kde4 directory, things are confusing enough already.

yes, it is available in the KDE:Extra repo.
The version 0.16.1 was released about four years ago so is for KDE 4.
It hasn’t been ported yet to plasma 5 and with such little development activity I doubt it ever will be.

KDE4’s service menus are located in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/, while KF5 looks for them in /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/.

You could symlink/copy the files manually to make the menu appear in dolphin5.
(such symlinks should probably be added to the package though, or it should install the files to the new location in the first place)

This won’t help you if the included scripts don’t work any more though.
AFAICT the scripts try to run ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd.

For Service menus there is not really much to “port”. The *.desktop files just have to be installed to the correct location.

I created symlinks in /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ to 1 directory and three .desktop files in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

The services appear when right clicking in dolphin5, but for example Create Public URL and write to clipboard doesn’t work - it starts my friend klipper up but nothing is written to the clipboard. I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

Thanks for the idea

Wolfi, those directories are for global servicemenus, while local servicemenus were installed in ~/.kde4/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus for KDE4.

What is the location for local servicemenus in KDE5? I have been unable to determine it.

I did find the file ~/.config/kservicemenurc, but it refers only to global servicemenus, as I don’t have local servicemenus installed, and haven’t been able to install one using “Get Hot New Stuff” because everything I try to install goes to the old KDE4 local directory.

Cris

Yes, but the mentioned openSUSE package does install the service menu globally, i.e. system-wide.
(an RPM package couldn’t do anything else)

while local servicemenus were installed in ~/.kde4/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus for KDE4.

What is the location for local servicemenus in KDE5? I have been unable to determine it.

~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/

In general it’s the same as the global path, just /usr/ replaced with ~/.local/.

I did find the file ~/.config/kservicemenurc, but it refers only to global servicemenus, as I don’t have local servicemenus installed, and haven’t been able to install one using “Get Hot New Stuff” because everything I try to install goes to the old KDE4 local directory.

Hm.
Maybe this might happen if you install a service menu that is designed for (and only supports) KDE4…

I seem to have a fix for making the Dropbox menu usable, but do not claim to fully understand the ramifications of running this way.

As above, I created symlinks in /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/ to 1 directory and three .desktop files in /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/

The Dropbox service menu is now available on right click from within Dolphin5.
But it delivers generated URLs to klipper, not the Plasma5 clipboard plasmoid.
If klipper is not running when the Dropbox menu is run, klipper starts automatically, but the generated URL does not show in the clipboard.
If klipper is running, the content appears, and then is also visible in the plasmoid clipboard.

It gets a bit confusing, as klipper and plasma5 clipboard widgets show in the system tray and use the same icons

Well, it probably tries to talk to klipper (via DBUS probably) to add the URL to the clipboard. Not really surprising if it is written for KDE4.

If Klipper is not running, it of course cannot reach it.

It gets a bit confusing, as klipper and plasma5 clipboard widgets show in the system tray and use the same icons

You could disable the plasmoid and only use Klipper (like in KDE4).

Using the Dropbox menu does start up klipper, and klipper then remains on the taskbar.
SO it’s only the first use of DropboxMenu that gets missed by the clipboard

You could disable the plasmoid and only use Klipper (like in KDE4).

Thanks, yes, figured that.
I decided to run both to see if some items only appeared in the plasmoid, for a while anyway