DISTROWATCH POPULARITY

PEOPLE PEOPLE, WE’RE ALMOST FIRST AT DISTROWATCH WHEN CHOOSING LAST 7 DAYS. WE JUST NEED A BIT MORE MARKETING FOR 11.1 AND WE’RE FIRST !!!
(a bit childish but it says something about distro’s quality doesn’t it:) ??) Now comes the time when people will be converting from distro to distro and not from windows to linux rotfl!
I’ll hang a big post outside my windows (not the MIcrosoft one) saying openSUSE 11.1 is outrotfl!
Let them all know :]

when Fedora 10 came out on the 25th nov, I checked the Distrowatch ranking for the last 7 days, and on the 27th, fedora WAS INDEED No. 1. So that really doesn’t mean that much.Give it a stable time period to average out, then they make sense.

Having said that, I am also looking forward to OpenSuSE 11.1 release. Seems quite amazing from the sneak peak, although the Gnome desktop wallpaper in 11.1 beats Xandros in ugliness.

I know that but openSUSE is steady climbing up with hits while Ubuntu only loses now. I can understand that, and i got my own opinion why is that:)

very true. but if we are really talking stats, then i think much more of competition is provided by linux mint. :wink: and with their Felicia version, they are also quite evidently doing a fantastic job. if i ever use an rpm distro (non-enterprise) it is OpenSuSE (feodra to have have fun…but not really). and if ever a deb distro, then i would go for Mint hands down.

I must agree here with You, Linux Mint is great BUT Gnome looks to me like a TOY:) Don’t know why but it does nevertheless it’s a great distro A LOT better than standard Ubuntu.

It sounds just as an internecine war. Rejoicing about people deserting Windows is OK from where I sit, stealing users from fellow-FLOSSers not so OK. In my view, we’re all just one big family; many of us have several distros on their drives. GNU/Linux wouldn’t be half as great if it wasn’t for this incredible, ever-evolving richness of distros to choose from. There are many flowers under the sun.

I don’t mean it as a war. If You would have to choose two cars (for free rotfl!) wouldn’t You choose the one that would suit You more (i don’t say that is better because that’s a subjective matter). Clear enough :)??

BenderBendingRodriguez wrote:
> I don’t mean it as a war. If You would have to choose two cars (for free
> rotfl!) wouldn’t You choose the one that would suit You more (i don’t
> say that is better because that’s a subjective matter). Clear enough
> :)??

Isn’t that like worrying about how many people have not upgraded their 9.1
installation to 11.1? I wonder if the “Ford or Chevy?” argument only
really matters to Ford and GM (and maybe their stockholders). I wonder if
it matters to Novell! :slight_smile:

I wonder why we try so hard.
I wonder why we try at all.
I wonder why the world is turning around.
In the end, it won’t matter at all.

There are times when I think I’ve found the truth.
There are times when I know that I’m wrong.
(Our Guessing Game - Justin Hayward)

Sorry to break the news, but actually we’re way behind Ubuntu.

Kubuntu and Xubuntu have significant hits on Distrowatch, add even 50% of those (presuming there’s more double counting for Ubuntu than OS & Novell).

Anyway, it’s actually used installs that matter, not how often someone shows casual interest.

I don’t put too much stock in the DW ratings. It has been well established that users of certain distros (such as Ubuntu) will “spam” their own distro’s page and drive up the rankings.