Display suspend problem

Hi.

I have a weird display suspend problem (I think it is suspend anyway). Every now and then the displays seem to go into suspend mode and then come back after a second or two.

I have a dual screen setup (it just happened by the way as I was writing this). All of a sudden both screens go black and then they come back after a second or two showing the symbols on each display usually shown when the displays come back after a suspend (it just happened again). KDE hasn’t crashed or anything when the displays come back, I can continue to work almost uninterrupted. I haven’t been able to pinpoint any action from my side that might trigger this, it’s completely random.

The configuration is openSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.3.5, the hardware is a Dell with a nVIDIA Quadro FX 550 graphics card. I have installed the latest nVIDIA drivers from the repo download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/. I’m not shure though if the nVIDIA driver is running. How do I check this? I have disabled display power management in KDE’s System Settings/Display (because I think it is buggy). KDE’s desktop effects and compositing are enabled.

I have a feeling this happens a lot more often right after the system is booted. My feeling is that it stabilizes after the machine has been running for a while. Could this suggest a problem with the graphics card?

Regards, Micke.

I got a new graphics card, now the problem is solved. It was a hardware problem.