Display not coming out of sleep in X11 sessions

Twice today, the system has failed to provide the KDE login screen (SDDM) when the display comes out of sleep mode, on an X11 session. This has happened on Tumbleweed, fully-upgraded, installed to both an HDD and an external USB SSD.

This has so far, not occurred with a Wayland session.

System would be used normally, then I leave the desktop for 5-10 minutes. When I get back, the display is correctly in sleep mode (Samsung 22-inch monitor, blue power light is blinking). When pressing the space bar, the display goes live, but only the mouse pointer icon is shown on the screen, the display is otherwise black. It does not produce the login screen. The first time this occurred, I had to power down the system to resume using it.

The second time this occurred was when using Tumbleweed on the external SSD. I hit CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE, which apparently killed the X11 session and was able to login again.

Was there a recent upgrade to an X11-related package that is causing this?

I looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old and there were no errors listed in either.

This is the GPU information from inxi, but the current login session is Wayland.

~> inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RS780L [Radeon 3000] driver: radeon v: kernel
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.11 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.4
    compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: radeon
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: r600 gpu: radeon
    resolution: 1920x1080
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,r600,swrast
    platforms: gbm,wayland,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 compat-v: 3.3 vendor: mesa v: 24.0.3 renderer: AMD
    RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 6.8.1-1-default LLVM 18.1.1)
  API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.

Thanks in advance.

Just to make the situation clear.

From your description I understand that you walk away but do NOT hibernate/sleep the system. Then the screen-locking turns on. Then the session is locked, but the system is NOT sleeping. When you then try to resume your work, you will be asked to unlock the session with your password. That is NOT the login screen from SDDM (or any other Display Manager), it is just the lock/unlock function from your desktop.

This to avoid that bug searching goes into the wrong direction.

Yes. The system does not go into sleep mode. I turned that function off.

The session was locked. I described what was occurring, as best as I could.

Create a new user, login as that user and see if the issue exists for that user.

Yes, the issue also exists with a new user account.

I tracked down this thread after seeing your post in https://forums.opensuse.org/t/sddm-black-login-screen-with-mouse-ponter/173594 (I made a response there - then thought it better to track down the original thread).

There is a rather long and protracted attempt to get to the bottom of this at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481308

As well as my comments in #173594, where I found I could use alt-ctrl-f1 to a console and then loginctrl unlock-session N, some of the comments in the bug report indicate that the blank lock screen will accept password input and unlock.

I the lock screen might be separate from sddm, the bug report refers to plasma 6 screenlocker. I think sddm might have its own issues, which seem similar. This is leading to some confusion in the reporting and diagnosis.

The KDE bug report shows RESOLVED FIXED, being fixed in 6.0.2, in which at least with Tumbleweed, it wasn’t. TW is now on 6.0.3.

I just rebooted the system and logged in using X11. Stepped away for a few minutes, came back, display was suspended, blue light on monitor blinking. Moved the mouse, the display came up and the login screen appeared.

This hardware is 13 years old, but still works well. It’s still on the original HDD.

I’m running into this, Plasma 6.0.3, but it seems to happen only if I use the keyboard to wake it up? Mouse works every time.
Also it’s usually enough to just switch to another tty and then back to restore the login screen.

I continue to use X11 today and can now report that the display properly comes out of suspend, now displaying the login screen, when using the keyboard. I pressed the space-bar.

On this hardware, the issue seems to be fixed.

I have a second desktop that’s due for a TW upgrade. Motherboard is somewhat similar, but with half the RAM and a different AMD Radeon GPU.

Yes, I saw that. I’m on 6.0.3 and it happened to me last evening. So it’s possible that it may still occur at some lower frequency of occurrence. My experience is probably less than one time in ten (but in most instances it would have occurred with versions prior to 6.0.3).

More interestly, it happened to a KDE5 desktop yesterday afternoon. This caused me to reflect on the last few months with KDE5. It’s been happening all along to two KDE5 desktops, but the frequency of occurrence was so small, I hadn’t persisted in tracking it down.

So all this makes me wonder if there is something still lurking in the lock screen code. Perhaps this is one of those confusing situations where multiple bugs are in the mix.

Given the varying experiences reported here, I also wonder if different hardware configurations are further muddying the waters.

I think I have the same issue, but I can enter my password (without seeing the login screen) and will be logged in.

I have really old hardware as well - Lenovo T410. Sleep worked great with kernel 6.6. When I went to 6.7, it would hard shut down or crash, so I quit using Sleep. Now with 6.8.5-1, it appears to work again. The FIRST TIME after I ungraded, I tried to sleep (to see if they had fixed it) and it did exactly as described above - black screen with a cursor. I have tried it a few times since and it appears to work OK (for now).
Oh, and yes, Plasma 6.0.3, and X11, because I figured out the hard way after upgrading that the default wayland will not run in any kind of reasonable fashion on my ancient hardware. I guess it’s the universe’s way of telling me it’s time to finally get a new machine.

This just occurred again, X11 session.

I hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get a terminal screen, logged in, ran startx, got the openSUSE splash with the light bulb and gear, yet the light bulb icon did not light up, but only the gear moved and there was no HDD activity. Opened another terminal window and ran sudo reboot now to get the system back.

Bug report submitted.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1223352