Digital Camera import destination

I usually run a Gnome-based distribution which included Shotwell as the default digital camera importer and manager but am running KDE (4.7 in openSUSE 12.1) and am not highly familiar with KDE offerings.

I am trying to get familiar with Gwenview and Digikam and find that I do like how Shotwell defaults to placing images in a directory tree based on the date taken (e.g. yyyy/mm/dd) so when importing from multiple days they all go into their respective directory without me having to do anything.

Actually, it doesn’t have to be broken out that way, if it were one folder, say like …/2012-02-20/… then that would be fine.

I see the Gwenview importer allows me ot change the name of the picture, but the directory is manual. Digikam requires placing images in Albums using names.

Most of my pictures are basically random shots of things going on with the family and don’t really fit into any one particular “album”.

Is there a different setting I am not finding, or a different program that will make it easy to import pictures this way?

System informaiton:

Distribution: openSUSE 12.1

digiKam
Version 2.2.0
Using KDE Development Platform 4.7.4 (4.7.4) “release 5”

Gwenview
Version 2.7.2
Using KDE Development Platform 4.7.4 (4.7.4) “release 5”

I use digikam, and I have it setup to copy my pictures to the directory /home/oldcpu/Pictures where there is a subdirectory for each day in which pictures were taken, in the format : yyyy-mm-dd

ie

• 2012-02-11
  • 2012-02-05
  • 2011-12-25
  • 2011-11-19
  • etc

How did you set it up? That method would work for me but I could not figure out how to configure it like that.

I put my pictures in ~/Pictures/Photo (so I can have a ~/Pictures/Webcam, ~/Pictures/Graphics, ~/Pictures/wallpapers, etc.)

My main PC is in the repair shop, so I only have my laptop. I don’t know how helpful that will be.

Here is my laptop settings:
http://thumbnails66.imagebam.com/17586/a27730175854739.jpg](ImageBam)

and lets zoom in to that:
http://thumbnails52.imagebam.com/17586/ea31fb175854744.jpg](ImageBam)

Great! I can’t wait to go home and try it out!

I forgot about that settings pop-out, I thought that just referred to an image. I was looking under the Settings > Configure digiKam.

I’ll have more questions, but I am hopeful this will work.

Just a quick update, it worked perfectly!

When I plugged in my camera and it came up with the Import window, under settings on the right-hand side there was an option for Auto-create albums. I found out you cannot use “/” to break it down into a date tree (yyyy/mm/dd) but you can easily enough set up a pattern you like or go with the ISO default.

I didn’t notice it before because this menu item was collapsed. Thanks for the input! It would have been a royal pain if I couldn’t have figured something out!

Glad to read it worked.