Digikam 3.2.0

Hi everyone. I am having an issue with Digikam. During loading of the application an error message appears. When I okay it the app continues to load but it cannot read my photo directory (the permissions are correct). So I started in the commandline and get the following:

penguinclaw@linux-3cze:~> digikam
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
digikam(4790)/digikam (core): Schema update to V 7 failed! 
libv4l2: error getting pixformat: Invalid argument
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML0220F31JDPVN" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/Hitachi_HDS5C3020ALA632_ML0220F31JDPVN" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1Y6J90SA25344" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/SAMSUNG_HD154UI_S1Y6J90SA25344" : property "Device" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST2000DM001_1CH164_W1E2LZDB" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ST2000DM001_1CH164_W1E2LZDB" : property "Device" does not exist 
penguinclaw@linux-3cze:~> 

My unskilled eyes notice QsqlDatabase… is this the issue?? I am also confused that it cannot see any of my hard-drives as there is again no issue with them.

Thanks in advance for any help in resolving this. BTW I have never previously had issue with Digikam

(my desktop is KDE4 x64 openSUSE 12.3)

I use Digikam, currently 3.2.0 on oS 12.3 with KDE 4.10.5, much like you.
No issues for me, so at least you know a solution is possible.

Since you have a Digikam Photo directory (I think), can we assume you upgraded from an earlier Digikam version?

I can’t comment specifically on the error messages you are seeing, but surmise from them that your prior Digikam instance used an external DB manager, not the SQLlite default? Is that the case?
Do you recall what prior version of Digikam did work for you?

I use the internal SQLlite DB and have not had issues with updates/upgrades, but I have seen issues on the Digikam forum for some folks who use the external DB configuration.

The message “… connection ‘ConnectionTest’ is still in use…” looks a bit strange.
Did you perhaps just receive a KDE update?
Did you logout/login after if you did?
I frequently find that currently running apps become a bit flaky if I don’t restart KDE in those cases.

Thanks for your response and interesting notes. This is a clean install of openSuse about four weeks ago. There have been many updates since I installed but I don’t remember any specific to Digikam. I must admit I only tried to fire up Digikam today as I wanted to do some editing… isn’t that always the way?! I am no expert with databases so as far as I know I used the default settings. Having said that I think I will delete the Digikam config files and start again.

I’ll post back what happens!

Just deleting the config files had no effect. So I did a search with dolphin on all digikam files and deleted the lot. I then removed digikam rebooted and reinstalled the app. I didn’t get the initial setup dialog but was asked where my photos were and after 24 minutes (I have a lot of photos , but really?) it found everything and seems to be working correctly.

Not entirely sure what the issue was; maybe something to do with openSUSE moving away from mysql? Still it seems to be sorted so thank you cmcgrath5035 for your input and for giving me the push in the right direction :slight_smile:

Try Settings>Configure digikam>Collections and if the list of collections does not match the folders, then amend the entries here until they do.

Sounds like you are making good progress.

A few tid bits:
Digikam saves its configuration and setup files in ~/.kde4/share/apps/digikam.
I have not run setup from scratch for a long time (I am usually upgrading, using the same setup), so can’t explain or understand why you did not get the new-install setup wizard when you started.
Might there have been an old config still on your system?

Anyway, as you have now seen, part of the config is for you to identify what folders are to be managed by Digikam.
You also select which database setup to use in the wizard and where to store that database.
By default, Digikam uses an “internal” sqllite DB, which is what I use.
An external DB such as mySQL is required of you need to manage files on network drives.

The first time you startup, or when you add a new photo archive(folder to be managed) to an existing setup, there is significant CPU effort to scan those archives and build the database. The work includes scanning the exif photo data (for sorting purposes) and building the database index as well as creating and storing thumbnails in the database.
All this speeds up Digikam when in operation.

If you want to really dig in to Digikam, sign up for the Digikam mailing list (an Email based forum) and/or get a copy of Digikam Recipes, authored/maintained by Dimitri Popov (for a few $s)

Good Luck

cmcgrath5035 thank you for that useful info. I am still a little confused as to what the issue was but all seems well now. I may well sign up for that mailing list too.