Dial-up broadband connection

I’m a window XP user and I’m attempting to cross over to OpenSuse 11.1
Firstly i apologise as i am not very familiar with Linux.
In windows i have broadband connection where my computer is connected to hub. All i have to do is to setup broadband dialup connection by just providing my username & password by going to Accessories-Communication-new connection wizard-Connect to internet-setup my connection manually-connect using a dial up connection that requires a username and password.
I am not sure how to setup this connection in Open SUSE.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me regarding this.

Not a problem. It’s a steep mostly self-help learning curve, but is fun.

By hub, do you mean broadband modem, or is your connection via a network cable (no usb connection to ‘hub’).
If it’s a dsl modem, go to yast>hardware>dsl and set it up there.
Afterwards, you can then probably tweak the settings by right clicking the network manager applet.
(Sorry, can’t help much more, I haven’t used dial up settings for years!)

Broadband DialUp?? Never come across any such thing.

No offence but: You probably mean you have some rubbishy usb modem which came with an equally useless install cd and likely you have to click some desktop icon to start your Broadband.

Does that sound about right?

Tell us what the modem is.

I am not sure, earlier with windows i was using a DLink DSL router, which was connected to my RJ11 port.
Now my ISP switched over to Fiber optics so they installed a hub which connect to my computer’s Ethernet(RJ45) port. I believe it is a hub as i can also connect my telephone & TV to it.
I formated my hard drive recently, & just had to hard wire the computer & setup dialup broadband connection.
I cannot use my DLinkl router anymore as the hub has ethernet port whereas my router only has a RJ11 inlet port for connection.
Please advice how to configure my connection

It is not a USB modem but a hub as i can also connect my telephone & TV to it. Earlier with Windows XP, i was using a DLink DSL router, which was connected to my RJ11 port.
Now my ISP switched over to Fiber optics so they installed a hub which connect to my computer’s Ethernet(RJ45) port.
I formated my hard drive recently, & just had to hard wire the computer & setup dialup broadband connection in windows.
I cannot use my DLinkl router anymore as the hub has ethernet port whereas my router only has a RJ11 inlet port for connection.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

All you need is the access details for the router
It done via a web browser and usually it’s something like: 192.168.0.1

You enter that in the address bar
The router though will ask for a user name and password.

All this info should be available for your ISP
They may even have supplied you with some of this info without you realizing.

But actually, you might find it will just work. Boot a live cd of suse or any linux, do you get a connection? You should be RJ45 to RJ45 computer NIC to router

Try caf’s suggestion of router and gateway addresses of 192.168.0.1. You can also try and see if it will give you a dhcp address.
Make sure if you are using a gateway/router setting of 192.168.0.1 that your local ipaddress is set to 192.168.0.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. (Configure through yast>network>) and turn dhcp off.
The easiest way is to set up your network as say 192.168.0.2 and try and ping 192.168.0.1.
Also, check the help section on your isp’s website. Somewhere hidden you should find a manual setup.

Also, since you are using cable, you need to think of some sort of firewall (preferably dedicated). This way you can connect to the internet as well as your own internal network without having to kill the network connection.
My suggestion is something like smoothwall on an old pc with 2 network cards.

Hi whych;

I think one of the huge strengths of the forums is to have folks like yourself who seem experts on many aspects of computers;

problem is the gulf between the experts and beginners;

I worry reading your last post that some folks would go

Huh? What?

I suspect we need links; (maybe to Youtube !!!) which say: go and watch this explain about … A … B … C

The reason I say all this is my son set up a wireless access point for us off our wired router recently; I should have sat down and watched all the pinging and logging in … but all the 192 stuff leaves me behind …

so: great to have the really knowledgable folks like yourself help so freely;

Dear All,

Thank you for your suggestions, Yesterday i was able to access internet via my Linux Dial-up broadband connection after setting it up using following forum.

Default How-to configure a PPPoE Broadband Internet Connec - openSUSE Forums

I really appreciate all the efforts you guys had put.

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know goldee;)