Devede won't start

Machine 2 in signature

Installed Devede 3.22.0-4.2 from Packman repo using zypper.

On trying to start Devede from terminal I get the following message and Devede does not start.

labud@install:~> devede
DeVeDe 3.22.0
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Using package-installed files
Failed to load modules DEVEDE_CONVERT. Exiting
labud@install:~>

Also tried to start Devede from Start menu, but also Devede does not start. While looking for what DEVEDE-CONVERT might be, I found some info saying I had to have cdrkit-cdrtools-compat file installed.

Using zypper:

labud@install:~> sudo zypper install cdrkit-cdrtools-compat
[sudo] password for root:  
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'cdrkit-cdrtools-compat' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of 'cdrkit-cdrtools-compat' found.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.

I uninstalled Devede.

While trying to find alternate software I ran across DevedeNG which apparently replaces the old Devede.

DeVeDeNG 4.11.0-1.10 is a rewrite from scratch of the old Devede, to work with Python3 and Gtk3, and with a new internal architecture that allows to expand it and easily add new features.
from DevedeNG

So, using zypper:

labud@install:~> sudo zypper install devedeng
[sudo] password for root:  

Problem: nothing provides cdrkit-cdrtools-compat needed by devedeng-4.11.0-1.10.noarch
 Solution 1: do not install devedeng-4.11.0-1.10.noarch
 Solution 2: break devedeng-4.11.0-1.10.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

**Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c/d/?] (c): **1
Resolving dependencies...

Nothing to do.
labud@install:~> sudo zypper install cdrkit-cdrtools-compat
'cdrkit-cdrtools-compat' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of 'cdrkit-cdrtools-compat' found.

Nothing to do.

Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone know why Devede or Devedeng will not work?
They are both listed in the Packman repos, but cdrkit-cdrtools-compat is not listed. I found this cdrkit-cdrtools-compat here:

but was unsure which, if any, to choose.
My guess would be this one:

openSUSE Tumbleweedftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/home:/vpereirabr:/AP/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/cdrkit-cdrtools-compat-1.1.11-3.13.x86_64.rpm
but I am not sure. Can someone please confirm/deny this?

Hi,

FWIW: Devede starts on my system. And no message about cdrkit. Have to say though, that my laptop doesn’t have an optical drive, although that should not matter. Will install (and test) devedeng now and report.

For devedeng I get the same messages as you. Did you do the vendor switch to Packman?

The problem with “info from Internet” is that it never includes enough context to decide whether it applies to your case or not.

You better follow systematic debugging: Redirecting to Google Groups

Post output of “python /usr/lib/devede/devede_convert.py”. Or where this module gets installed by your package.

@Knurpht

For devedeng I get the same messages as you. Did you do the vendor switch to Packman?

In YAST >Software it says devedeng is from the Packman repo.

@arvidjaar
I have posted at Google Groups Devede forum. [tonight]
I have not been able to install either Devede or Devedeng successfully.
Always, with either, when I try to start the software from the start Menu nothing happens.
When I run the command that you asked for:

labud@install:~> python /usr/lib/devede/devede_convert.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/devede/devede_convert.py", line 41, in <module>
    import dbus
ImportError: No module named dbus

So nothing about cdrkit so far. Do you have dbus-python installed (rpm -qa | grep dbus)?

@arvidjaar

So nothing about cdrkit so far.
I am only getting that msg [cdrkit-cdrtools-compat] about the devedeng software. The info I found may have been referring to devedeng not devede, but as I remember they were not explicit.

Do you have dbus-python installed (rpm -qa | grep dbus)?

labud@install:~> rpm -qa | grep dbus
gmenu**dbus**menuproxy-5.17.4-1.1.x86_64
**dbus**-1-1.12.16-1.1.x86_64
**dbus**-1-glib-0.108-3.8.x86_64
lib**dbus**menu-qt5-2-0.9.3+15.10.20150604-1.16.x86_64
python3-slip-**dbus**-0.6.5-6.2.noarch
python3-**dbus**-python-1.2.8-2.6.x86_64
lib**dbus**menu-qt5-2-32bit-0.9.3+15.10.20150604-1.16.x86_64
lib**dbus**-1-3-1.12.16-1.1.x86_64
k**dbus**addons-tools-5.65.0-1.1.x86_64
ruby2.6-rubygem-ruby-**dbus**-0.15.0-1.5.x86_64
xdg-**dbus**-proxy-0.1.2-1.1.x86_64
lib**dbus**-1-3-32bit-1.12.16-1.1.x86_64
libqt5-q**dbus**-5.13.1-1.5.x86_64
lua51-l**dbus**-0.0+git20190816.9e176fe-1.1.x86_64
lua51-lua-**dbus**-0.0+git20170818.8fe38d0-2.5.x86_64
**dbus**-1-glib-tool-0.108-3.8.x86_64
**dbus**-1-x11-1.12.16-1.1.x86_64

Try installing python2-dbus-python.

@arvidjaar

Try installing python2-dbus-python.

I installed python2-dbus-python, but it has changed nothing. Devede will not start, however now when I try to start it from terminal I get:

If 'devede' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
    cnf devede

instead of what I was getting before:

DeVeDe 3.22.0
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Using package-installed files
Failed to load modules DEVEDE_CONVERT. Exiting labud@install:~>

The command is

devede_ng.py

And mine doesn’t start either

It chucks this out

File "/usr/bin/devede_ng.py", line 20, in <module>
    gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0')
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.8/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 126, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace Gtk not available

You need Gtk typelib.

zypper in -C 'typelib(Gtk)=3.0'

P.S. you do realize that in 1.5 year most everything has changed on Tumbleweed , do not you?

Now it does

File "/usr/bin/devede_ng.py", line 48, in <module>
    mwindow = devedeng.project.devede_project()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/devedeng/project.py", line 83, in __init__
    builder.connect_signals(self)
ValueError: Pointer arguments are restricted to integers, capsules, and None. See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/sh
ow_bug.cgi?id=683599

I have downloaded the Devede file 3.23.0 and DevedeNG file 4.16.0 from the Packman repository. I attempted to install both on Leap 15.2, and recieved the same errors as earlier reported.

I then downloaded the Devede file 3.16.9 from the Packman repository which was listed for openSUSE 11.2. I was able to successfully install and run this version. As this is an interpreted Python code, the creation of the rpm does not compile or change the original code lines. It appears to utilize Python 2 and GTK+ 2 - both of which are supported on Leap 15.2 and Tumbleweed.

I found only two problems with the installation. The first problem is the video preview window did not have any sound. That was traced back to the KDE Plasma widget controlling sound volume. It was set to mute. Fixing this allowed sound and it maintained the setting though multiple startup/shutdown sequences. This setting is found on the system tray icon “audio volume” and applications tab as MPlayer (the helper application actually playing the video). The second problem is MEncoder is being used to encode the videos and create the menu video. It is calling ffmpeg to do the actual conversion. The version of ffmpeg shipped from openSUSE has been neutered to remove some codecs. The necessary ac3 codec was one of those removed. You must install a full version of ffmpeg to obtain this codec - available in the Packman repository. There are multiple versions and dependencies, so this is sometimes tricky. The versions and dependent programs are constantly changing, but I had success with version 4.2.1 release 2.9.4. You must use an ffmpeg version 4 program; recently MPlayer/MEncoder has been updated to use version 4 from version 3.

While much information has been removed from the internet on Devede version 3, the following is the best history I can develop. Version 3.16.9 was updated to the version 3.20.0-3.23.0 series. The update added a selection of new encoders to the previous single MPlayer/MEncoder choice. It also provided a capability to directly call the CD burner software Brasero or K3b. After Devede 3.23.0, the program was completely rewritten for Python 3 and GTK+ 3, and renamed DevedeNG. Its present version is 4.16.0.

While I can continue to look at the later version Devede issues, the 3.16.9 version provides all the core functionality that the later versions have.

I have downloaded the DevedeNG file 4.16.0 from the Packman repository. I attempted to install it on Leap 15.2, and recieved the same errors as earlier reported. After some effort, I have been able to get the program running on Leap 15.2. There were two issues that I found.

The first issue is that four rpm packages need to be installed:

python3-gobject
python3-cairo
python3-gobject-Gdk
python3-gobject-cairo

Some of these are installed by DevedeNG setup, and others call each other when installed. Just check that all four are installed to operate DevedeNG.

The second issue is that Packman has deleted the documents from the install package. In DevedeNG these documents have been added to the program as the help files. You must retrieve the doc directory from the original source file and place the files into /usr/share/devedeng/html directory if you wish to use the help files.

While this was done on Leap 15.2, the same procedures should work for Tumbleweed.