desktop trouble

hello …
i am opensuse 11 user… when i delete some files from desktop.the files are deleted but when i reboot the computer these zombie icons of files previously deleted are displayed on desktop…

If it is a KDE4 desktop, then they are plasmoids not icons - and If you are leaving your KDE4 while something crashes then it restores some settings to the old ones on the next start. You can do two things:

1. If you have enough time to recustomize your desktop then simple rename the .kde4 hidden directory in your users directory to .kde4old. Log out and log back into KDE. All settings in KDE are restored to the default!
  2. Before logging out close all running applications from the systray (amarok, kmail, etc, etc.) to log out without crash.

Hi
Have a look in the directories ~/.local/share/Trash/ there are two
directories here called files and info maybe some remnants are being
left in one of these locations…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 7:34, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.03, 0.02
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.22

malcolmlewis
Hi
Have a look in the directories ~/.local/share/Trash/ there are two
directories here called files and info maybe some remnants are being
left in one of these locations…

i have emptied trash … problem remains

ram88
If it is a KDE4 desktop, then they are plasmoids not icons - and If you are leaving your KDE4 while something crashes then it restores some settings to the old ones on the next start. You can do two things:

1. If you have enough time to recustomize your desktop then simple rename the .kde4 hidden directory in your users directory to .kde4old. Log out and log back into KDE. All settings in KDE are restored to the default!
  2. Before logging out close all running applications from the systray (amarok, kmail, etc, etc.) to log out without crash.

i tried dat …n changed .kde to .kdeold but doesnt work …
ctrl+alt+backspace doesnt restart the x11 server

In a overzealous attempt to configure my desktop… i am somehow lost the interface now when i boot the system…it properly boots but shows a blank screen after dat … i was trying to reintilase the x11 server by
init 3
sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
init 5
but dis wont work on falisafe mode…
help…

I don’t know what you did (…In a overzealous attempt…), maybe you need to reinstall the whole system. Yeah I know a bit brainless idea but it takes less time than hacking and cracking the corrupted config files while trying to find out what is wrong.
Are you have video driver installed? Why don’t you try to start sax2 with that driver instead vesa.
Are you tried to rename an old xorg.conf backup (xorg.conf.+somethingHere) file in your /etc/X11/ directory to xorg.conf and start the X again?

ram88
I don’t know what you did (…In a overzealous attempt…), maybe you need to reinstall the whole system. Yeah I know a bit brainless idea but it takes less time than hacking and cracking the corrupted config files while trying to find out what is wrong.
Are you have video driver installed? Why don’t you try to start sax2 with that driver instead vesa.
Are you tried to rename an old xorg.conf backup (xorg.conf.+somethingHere) file in your /etc/X11/ directory to xorg.conf and start the X again?

actually when i initialize x11 server …
i set the screen resolution that suits my screen(15’'&1024*768)… but once i switch to runlevel 5 …
x11 server increases my screen resolution to higher level
n my monitor goes out of range…

That’s because the xorg.conf - so, what’s with the renaming, and starting sax2 -r -m 0=withYourDriver?

ram88
i dont have any driver installed…
actually when i boot my system dere is no display but mouse icon is displayed…

Why you can;t start with sax2 -r -m 0=vesa? Is there any error output?

ram88
Why you can;t start with sax2 -r -m 0=vesa? Is there any error output?

dere is no error output … i adjust the right resolution…
i switch to runlevel 5 … den it showz OUT OF RANGE
can u tell me wht is path of xorg.config…

The xorg.conf is in

/etc/X11/

Try to restore an old config file.