desktop folder

hi all i deleted my desktop folder by mistake in os 11.1 kde4 how can i get it back, thanks manfred

There is no undelete option in ext3 unfortunatelly :slight_smile:

it is the desktop folder with the launch icons in it

i just want it back

You lost all the files and folders that were there. If You want to create Desktop folder back open terminal and type :

mkdir /home/<yourusername>/Desktop

the folder is there but it does not display as a folder on the desktop

Right click on desktop background, “Add Widget…”, select “Folder View”, “Add”.

thank you, thank you, thank you

sure there is, it is just a lot of work (and in this case obviously unneccesary)

as long as you didn’t write lots of data over the alledgedly removed files you could try and get them back.

HOWTO undelete removed files and directories on an ext3 file system

s.

You lost all the files and folders that were there. If You want to create Desktop folder back open terminal and type :

mkdir /home/<yourusername>/Desktop

if it were just the case of mistakingly removing the default opensuse dekstop folder one could also easily restore this by copying the Desktop folder with initial contents back from the skeleton user, used when adding new users to the system.

s.

This is NOT necessary here it was just the desktop folder view that was closed

Geoff

I noticed that in 11.0 … If you delete something off a hard drive using opensuse, then log onto windows and access the same hard drive. Theres a .Trash something folder with all the stuff you delete in it…

Just thought I would jot that down…

• Manfredfischer wrote, On 12/21/2008 07:46 PM:
    > the folder is there but it does not display as a folder on the desktop
  • the KDE4 desktop doesn’t show the content of your /home/uwe/Desktop folder. That’s by design.
  • you can right click the desktop and “Add Widget”, “Folder View”. Here you can set a folder to watch, including your Desktop folder.

HTH
Uwe