Desktop effects are not supported...

Hi,

I posted a topic in this forum about ATI, Compiz and Desktop effects.

I don’t know why it’s so hard, but after a while, I found the solution and it was easy. Try searching for posts by lostowl.

Go to OpenSuse.org and in the search just type “ati” (or nvidia"

At the time I wrote this, 1-click wasn’t working, but if you follow the instructions for what to do if it goes wrong, it works.

The summary is: for ATI:

1. Download and install the ATI driver.
  2. Go to init 3
  3. delete or move your xorg.conf file.
  4. run sax2 -r -m 0=radeon
  5. (if you have installed the driver from ATI) run aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
  6. (assuming i didn’t typo step 5) run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx
  7. reboot

this worked perfectly for me after days of screwing around with an X600.

For nvidia, I just did the 1-click on the opensuse help page. It worked fine, but there is also a “the hard way” instructions that also work.

After I did these very simple steps, Desktop Effects worked perfectly.

The problem I have now is on my iMac G5, I can’t download ATI PPC drivers so I can’t run the aticonfig to load the fglrx entries into xorg.conf. Totally bumming.

Thanks but this never worked. I did try two attempts, but it just doesn’t make a difference… I followed your detailed instructions and made sure I had the kernel-source installed. I even re-installed the ATI drivers.

At least with legacy nvidia drivers be sure to use:

Option “Composite” “Enable”

Instead of:

Option “Composite” “On”

I’m sorry to hear that. What type of graphics card do you have?

It does seem very frustrating that so many people are having trouble with this. I wonder if it’s something simple that a lot of people just miss?

I can’t get Compiz working on my MacIntosh G5 with Suse11.1. I can’t find a lot of tips out there for it, either.

Perhaps the reason it works on my ATI desktop is because the card is relatively older and the drivers have been more thoroughly vetted.

Thanks for the comments here I could fix my desktop effect (compiz)

I opened my xorg.conf and there was a “sessions” and in there composite was set to OFF, I changed it to ON and viola it was fixed after rebooting.

I am trying to get my 3d to work in compiz as well but I do not understand your instructions. Can you break these down for a newbie

For those of you using legacy NVIDIA cards (I think this works for all cards, but I know for sure it works with legacy), once you install the drivers remember to run these commands as root:

nvidia-xconfig --composite
nvidia-xconfig --render-accel
nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24

If this doesn’t work, edit your xorg.conf to allow AIGLX by adding this under the Section “ServerLayout”

Option "aiglx" "true"

Good Luck,

Ian