Davinci Resolve 18.5 not working on OpenSuse Tumbleweed

When I try to run davinci resolve studio 18.5 I get this error:

/resolve: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libpango-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_string_free_and_steal

I did search on internet about this problem and I found some solutions but none of this is working:

  1. You could just copy the system library to resolve libs folder and it will start working again:
sudo cp /lib64/libglib-2.0.* /opt/resolve/libs/
  1. Running resolve from terminal with the following preload allows it to run without modifying it’s install:
export LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so"
  1. Go to /opt/resolve/libs, create a new folder (name it something like _disabled), then open the terminal in that folder and type mv libglib-2.0.so* _disabled/

With the 3rd option, I just a get:

/resolve: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_task_set_stati c_name

Is there anyone else with this problem?
is it possible to fix it?
Or do we have to wait for an update?

I think something is messed up in your system. For my Tumbleweed system:

> ldd /lib64/libpango-1.0.so.0 | grep libglib
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fcd5d956000)
> objdump -T /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0 | grep g_string_free_and_steal
0000000000081bc0 g    DF .text  0000000000000007  Base        g_string_free_and_steal

@jfespinal as far as I can tell it’s an upstream issue with how they build, I just removed the glib files from their /opt dir and still get the pango error…

No solutions so far?

@jfespinal I would see if anything on their forum…

Thanks, I will continue searching for a solution too!. I will post any changes

Same output that you have:

ldd /lib64/libpango-1.0.so.0 | grep libglib
 libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f03f7fba000)
objdump -T /lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0 | grep g_string_free_and_steal
0000000000081bc0 g    DF .text  0000000000000007  Base        g_string_free_and_steal

If ldd/object is giving the same output, i.e. the library/shared object can be found it is not clear to me why davinci is triggering:

Anybody an idea how that can be?

If you try to search for this problem you will find that this software comes with own bundled libraries which override system libraries.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I want to find out.
But it happened after a Tumbleweed update

Of course. You moved away just one library that is part of glib, while you need to move away all of them. These are

1 Like

If you depend on using your system (as opposed to toying with it) - why are you using rolling distribution in the first place? And if you are using rolling distribution you need to understand the basics of how Linux works. Dynamic libraries belong to these basics.

I came to the same conclusion, it was already working correctly and I was going to post the solution but you posted it first, thank you very much!!
I have been using Linux OpenSuse for some time and I use several programs that do not run correctly in Leap, which is the LTS version due to GLIBC, which is way behind the version, that is why I use TW. Those little problems with updates don’t really bother me, because they always have solutions and obviously I have my plan B as far as work is concerned, that way I’m learning more about how to solve certain problems in Linux


I have found a solution to skip this issue on OpenSuse :

  1. download libgdk fedora’s rpm : https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/38/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm

  2. Extract it : rpm2cpio ./gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.10-2.fc38.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

  3. enter the extracted usr/lib64 and open a terminal in it : sudo cp -r * /opt/resolve/libs/

  4. Boom you’re done !

This methode won’t modify the system at all just adding a lib to resolve’s lib folder

1 Like