Opensuse 15.0
Using KDE with sddm as login manager:

fernando@andromeda:~> rpm -qa |grep sddm
sddm-branding-openSUSE-0.17.0-lp150.9.6.1.x86_64
sddm-theme-openSUSE-15.0~git20180504T125857~b35c1c4-lp150.1.1.noarch
sddm-0.17.0-lp150.9.6.1.x86_64
kcm_sddm-5.12.5-lp150.2.1.x86_64
kcm_sddm-lang-5.12.5-lp150.2.1.noarch

I can swith to another user and everything seems fine, but when I try to switch to the previous user I select switch, select the user, I type the password and the it returns to the same screen but the first user is not there, only the second. I open a terminal and with ps I confirm that there are only one or to process left from the first user.

What may be causing it? Where can I look for more information?

regards

By default (unless you login to a configured single user session which should not be default), when you logout the first User session should remain actively running in the background, and you should be able to switch back to your first User session.

Usually with DMs,
If a User is not listed, there is some option for “Other” which when clicked will either display any additional Users or allow you to type in a Username.

TSU

@fperal:

With AMD hardware, I’ve been suffering a similar issue since KDE changed to SDDM.

AFAICS, Intel hardware doesn’t seem to suffer from this issue …

Interesting but AFAIK wouldn’t be affected by the CPU… more likely perhaps a co-incidental change between Wayland and Xorg or even ether on top of specific GPU? If you can think of any way a DM’s interaction with hardware could be considered a cause for this (User logins) and not some other issue, then maybe kernel support for Intel’s integrated GPU might come into play which time and again seems to be faster than AMD’s historical support…

TSU

I’m in a multiuser system and both logged users are listed users. They both appear in sddm login screen. I can log with them both. The problem is let’s call them UserA and userB:

I log in with userA, everything ok.
Then I select switch user, new session. SDDM displays the user list, I select userB, I switch user, everything OK.
Then I select again switch user. SDDM shows the user list, with usersA already logged. I select switch to userA, I type the pass, it seems to be switching, but it switch to a black screen.
In fact now if I cntrl-al-f7 i get a blank screeen, but with cntrl-altF8 I go to userB.
UserA session is dead. UseaB session is working.
Then I select switch to new session, select userA. I get a new userA session
If now I try to switch again to userB session the same happens, userB session dies.

I’m using AMD with nvidia.

best regards