Cracking sound trough speakers

I’m the one who does most of the update/maintenance on that wiki. Just be patient, and the driver will be packaged for the new kernel. The driver is not yet packaged, so there is no point in my updating the wiki.

'key, i’ll wait for a while. Just getting used to the sound too…

Thanks for your help!

Well, the wiki was updated, the repo added, and I was able to update to the latest alsa driver.
Still I get a crackling sound through speakers once and then, and it gets worst when I have headphones plugged in.

If i am playing music or videos, the annoying sound goes away.

Disable Desktop Effects in System settings and see how you go then.

carioca

Not lucky with that one. I disabled them with ALT+SHIFT+F12 and still get the sound everynow and then.
If I could only tell why it is, I could try to file a bug report upstream or something.

Thanks!

Why does that stop you from writing a bug report ?

I can not think of any reason why.

If we all waited to find the maximum details on every problem before writing a bug report, there would be NO bug reports.

Ok, done!
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=697187

Lets hope we have some luck there.

Thanks!

I have the same issue on my desktop windows box. It’s my graphics card power demand bleeding through my integrated sound chip. Every time I run serious 3D operation, I hear random clicks & noise in my headphones. I haven’t solved it; I just know what it it. Does that sound like it?

Hmmm … is it possible to change the slot in which the graphic card is located ? Could it be the cable from the graphic card to the monitor (in which case put an ‘iron conductive ring’ around the cable to reduce interference) ?

Hi. I dont think that is my case, since I dual boot with XP and works perfect, and I used Kubuntu for many years without problems too.
I dont think its a hardware issue for me.

Hi,

I just recently installed Ubuntu 11.4 on my friends laptop and had very similar issue with audio. The laptop was HP dv6000 with the same audio chip as you have sergiom99.

The problem I had was that when ever audio chip was switched on, it created that cracking sound you mentioned. When the audio chip was switched off, it made the sound twice. This was very easy to reproduce.

I found it very useful to disable power saving functionality in **/etc/modprobe.****d/alsa-**base.conf by setting:

options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

-Miikka

did you fix it with that?

Yes, that solved the problem in my case. Didn’t that work for you? Did you reboot after the change? Can you reproduce the problem?

Hi, there was no such file, so I created and pasted that line in it. Rebooted. But I still get the cracking sound once in a while.

We do not use /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf on openSUSE.

Instead we use /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

Thanks!
Now the file reads:

cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# M71A.k5JPLyF5+X5:MCP67 High Definition Audio
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

but no success.

Note the alsa sound driver needs to be restarted for any change to a 50-sound.conf file to have effect.

I rebooted the laptop after the change in the file.