Converting .mkv with soft subs files to play on an iPad?

I have many .mkv files that have soft subs I’d like to convert so I can play them on my iPad. What Linux tool can I use to do this more of less automatically?

I have not tried this (I do not have an iPad).

My wife has an iPod and I have created videos for her iPod using handbrake. Of course with an iPod there is not much point in having subtitles in unless one has a magnifying lens to watch the video with. :slight_smile:

Still did you investigate handbrake ? It is packaged by the Packman packagers. The handbrake web page is here: HandBrake and in their documentation they note:

Outputs:
   • File format: MP4(M4V) and MKV
   • Video: MPEG-4(ffmpeg), H.264(x264), or Theora(libtheora)
   • Audio: AAC, CoreAudio AAC (OS X Only), MP3, or Vorbis. AC-3 pass-through, DTS pass-thorugh (MKV only)

Misc features:
   • Chapter selection, Chapter Markers
   • Subtitles
      • Vobsub and Closed Captions
      • SRT import and passthru
      • SSA passthru or burn-in (experimental)****   • Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
   • Support for VFR, CFR and VFR
   • Video: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Detelecine, Cropping and scaling
   • Live Video Preivew

I actually had no clue what so ever as to what program to use so thanks a lot.
I am ripping a DVD right now. I will see how it does on my .mkv files after this.

Thanks.

Note the Packman packaged Handbrake version should have presets that you can apply, with preset setting names/labels that should hopefully make it clear as to what setting (preset selection) you need to apply.

Avidemux can. But it require you open each file in its GUI, isn’t for command line wizards. Then click Auto -> Apple iPod from the menu. Then simply click Save.

with soft subs ? Thats a key point of the request.