Conky appears to honor screen resolution, now. That breaks alignr!

For years, I’ve set the DPI in Mate Appearances > Fonts > Details > DPI to 120 for my high res screen. Until the latest (12.2) versions, conky was unaffected by this. Now, goto, alignc, alignr, and probably a lot of other commands I don’t use are confused and move too far to the right. Was this intentional? Is there a command to compensate for changing system DPI?

Thanks,
Gene

Hi
Not seen any issues here on GNOME, but don’t set the DPI. Perhaps the move to libLLVM12. What graphics card in use?

The graphics is the on chip graphics for an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U. However, it was trivial to fix after thinking a bit. I just scaled everything by 96/120 = 0.8. So I set minimum_width and maximum_width to 1536, and scaled every goto by 0.8. So, goto 830 became goto 665. This fixed all the placements. Setting DPI in MATE does the same thing as setting the scaling in Windows. 120/96 = 1.25, which results in the same screen scaling in MATE that I get with 125% in Windows. Something in conky now pays attention to DPI, but it really is new to the latest version, 12.2.

Thanks,
Gene

I’m not the only one to notice this change. There is an issue on github, https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues/1097. The more I think about this, the more it seems like a bug. If I want to go to the middle of a line that is 1920 pixels long, goto 960 should work no matter what the DPI is. Perhaps they are trying to implement scaling and got it wrong?

Gene

Good find, but are you running conky based on the latest code in git?

I see the commit mention in the issue, 7f84662 is from 2 March 2021, so if that is indeed the problem you can go back using “git checkout 7f84662^” with the ^ indicating the parent of 7f84662.

I’m using the latest version of conky in Tumbleweed. I noticed that commit made it into openSUSE TW conky version 1.12.2.

> sudo zypper info conky
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package conky:
------------------------------
Repository     : Main Repository (OSS)
Name           : conky
Version        : 1.12.2-1.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : openSUSE
Installed Size : 1.4 MiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : conky-1.12.2-1.1.src
Summary        : A System Monitor
Description    : 
    Conky is an configurable system monitor.

Gene

Looking at that commit it is very unlikely causing the issue you and the guy creating the issue, but is likely due to one of the earlier commits.

Would be good if you can revert back to an older version of the conky package but unless you did some special settings in the past I do not know an easy way to do that.

Here is the history, the problem appeared after the first update, and the reversion made my original .conkyrc script work again. Changing my .conkyrc file as described in my earlier post allows me to use the new version.

Update that broke things.
2021-04-30 09:56:59 | install | conky | 1.12.2-1.1

Revert that fixed things.
2021-04-30 11:38:43 | install | conky | 1.12.1-1.3

Update now works with **modified** .conkyrc file.
2021-05-02 15:56:09 | install | conky | 1.12.2-1.1

I haven’t looked at the code yet, but the commit that broke things seems to multiply the move derived from “goto y” by the system DPI divided by the assumed default DPI of 96. So conky says " y’ = DPI/96 * y ", where y is from the .conkyrc file, then issues " goto y’ ". I fixed things by changing all my y values, including screen width, to the old value * 96/DPI and the multiplications cancel out. As I said, this seems like a bug, not a new feature. :wink:

Gene

Hi
Add your voice to the issue report…

I added it.

Gene

Hi
Thanks :slight_smile: I didn’t do the last update (one before, yes), will keep an eye on it and see when a fix appears will backport if needed.

Thanks!:slight_smile:

Gene