Configuring Autostart Programs and System Tray Programs

I’m new to openSUSE 11.0 (former Ubuntu user), and I’m trying to figure out how to control what programs start on startup, as well as how to disable some programs in the system tray (down by the clock). For example, I want thunderbird and amarok to run on startup down there, but I do not need the network manager or the power applet (I do happen to know that my desktop PC is “plugged in”…). How can I change these things? I’m also new to KDE, so I’m pretty lost in some of these things…

Thanks,
Dan

You can write a shell script and put on your Autostart directory.
example:
#vi /home/aaa/.kde/Autostart/amarok-start.sh

#!/bin/sh
amarok &

You will see the amarok program startup in KDE environment.

Dan,

KDE3 by default saves your session on exit, so often it helps to just leave things as you want them to be and log out. E.g. that should give you Amarok in the tray.

As for not starting thing: Depends. Keep in mind that the KPowersave applet not only deals with the battery, but all powersave options, like suspend. Right click, Configure…, General Settings, Miscellaneous, uncheck “Kpowersave starts automatically…”

HTH
Uwe

unfotunately there is no way to minimize thunderbird to the task bar. you need to find thirdparty software such as “alltray” to do this for you

-c

I already have the Thunderbird minimizing program, called moztraybiff I believe. So that’s not a problem.

Brian, when you suggest writing a script, is the example you posted exactly what I should do in a terminal, or do I need to create a text file?

-Dan

Can anybody answer my question about writing that script? I’m just not sure specifically what I should do. I always leave thunderbird open when I shut down, and it is the only thing that does not autostart (though I haven’t tried kcheckgmail yet), so I probably do need that script.

Thanks,
Dan

dbsoundman wrote:

>
> Can anybody answer my question about writing that script? I’m just not
> sure specifically what I should do. I always leave thunderbird open
> when I shut down, and it is the only thing that does not autostart
> (though I haven’t tried kcheckgmail yet), so I probably do need that
> script.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
>

If you will copy the Thunderbird icon from your Desktop, into .kde/Autostart,
it will, uh, Autostart when you log in.

Easiest way: find the thunderbird icon in kmenu, right click on it,
select ‘add to desktop’

open konqueror, view -> show hidden files, find .kde, then Autostart

drag and drop the thunderbird icon from the desktop into the Autostart folder,
select ‘copy’.

test it out:

log out, log back in… thunderbird!!

well, I suppose it could be minimized initially… {sigh} there’s always
something.

Hope this helps

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

I just tried to do that, but for some reason I can’t drag and drop desktop icons; when I try to drop them into the folder, they just stay in that position on the desktop. Am I missing something?

Also, I tried in both Dolphin and Konqueror, but I’m curious; why does KDE come with two different file browsers? I can’t seem to find any particular advantage to either of them…

-Dan

dbsoundman wrote:

>
> I just tried to do that, but for some reason I can’t drag and drop
> desktop icons; when I try to drop them into the folder, they just stay
> in that position on the desktop. Am I missing something?
>
> Also, I tried in both Dolphin and Konqueror, but I’m curious; why does
> KDE come with two different file browsers? I can’t seem to find any
> particular advantage to either of them…
>
> -Dan
>
>

Oh, you’re using KDE4…

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

Yeah, it was sort of unintentional that I started with KDE 4.0, but it’s been working fine for me for the most part, aside from it’s querky drag-and-drop attributes, and I still don’t understand the multiple folder navigation programs…

Maybe there’s a setting I can change? I’ll look…

-Dan

I think I figured it out…I went to the Autostart folder, and right-clicked, and used “create new link to application”. Typed in thunderbird as the name and command. I did also edit out the auto-naming though, for some reason it automatically named my link to thunderbird and a preexisting link to start miro (which hasn’t been happening automatically so far) as thunderbird.desktop and miro.desktop, respectively. I deleted the .desktop part, so I’ll see if that works.

-Dan

It seems to be working! At least, it worked this time. I did discover there are two Autostart folders though; one is in .kde, the other is in .kde4. I had to put the icon in the kde4 folder for it to work. It is strange that of all the programs, thunderbird is the one that it won’t autostart on it’s own, but I’ve got it now so it’s all good.

-Dan

dbsoundman wrote:

>
> It seems to be working! At least, it worked this time. I did discover
> there are two Autostart folders though; one is in .kde, the other is in
> .kde4. I had to put the icon in the kde4 folder for it to work. It is
> strange that of all the programs, thunderbird is the one that it won’t
> autostart on it’s own, but I’ve got it now so it’s all good.
>
> -Dan
>
>
Congrats. Glad to help

Loni

L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

what can i do to start automatic compiz fusion icon in system tray, it’s don’t auto start and i try to manual start it