Compiz 9.5 news :)

After a lot of googling, experimenting and restoring the system with a complete backup:

— Compiz 8.7 —
– works on every desktop with no problem, issues:

• ccsm not working, wrong python version, however simple ccsm from gnome 2.32 works.
  • a couple of plugins freeze at least under kde 4.6, example Zoom
  • a couple of effects leave some traces on the desktop canvas, kde 3.5 and 4.6.
  • Emerald works 100%, here the great guy’s repo:
    Index of /repositories/home:/lOtz1009:/emerald/openSUSE_11.3

— Compiz 9.5 —
– emerald no longer supported, read Plugins/Decoration - Compiz Wiki
– works on kde 3.5 and 4.6, but the only way is to install also gnome 3, complete!
– the emerald themes are still provided from the kde4 Smaragt module.
– issues on kde 3.5:

• many emerald themes with rounded corners don’ t display properly
    – issues on kde 4.6:
  • many emerald themes with rounded corners don’ t display properly
    app launcher and lancelot freeze after a while, app launcher menu works 100%.
  • panels tend to freeze, custom icons mostly don’t appear in the tray.
  • the strip with the plasmoids to add freezes.
  • changes by themes, decorations and so on need a new login.

Turnarounds for Kde 4.6:
I got under kde 4.6 the 100% functionality and stability with the following turnarounds:
uninstall the kde panel.
install as replacement cairo-dock.
install a little hidden kde panel with just the tray and the info applet.
I installed also the cairo-dock tray, it displays my customs icons
by configuring the desktop turn compiz off.
I modified slightly my preferred emerald theme.

On 06/19/2011 04:36 PM, Capodastro wrote:

> – works on every desktop with no problem, issues:
> - ccsm not working…

what school did you learn a language where you can write:

“works on every desktop with no problems, issues: ccsm not
working…plugins freeze…effects leave some traces…” and etc?

or, were you joking?

dd
http://is.gd/bpoMD

Where is this info coming from?
Also its a shame emerald is dead if info is true, also this info is complete BS as in order to use Compiz 9.5 wer need gnome 3?
You know that thing that cripples comiz and is completely broken/customizable and I would not want to use it even with a 39 and a half Foot pole?

Dear guys, I regard your comments as a compliment. Thank you very much… I would be glade to post a screen shot of my desktop, but for what I know that is impossible in this forum. I assure you that right now I am writing to you from a kde 6.5 desktop with a fully functional compiz 9.5 and a nice emerald theme. The practical way to get it is a bit complicated, but I am fully convinced that your brilliancy wouldn’t require my modest suggestions. Thanks again!

On 06/19/2011 08:36 PM, Capodastro wrote:
>
> I would be glade to post a screen shot of my desktop, but for
> what I know that is impossible in this forum.

you can post to paste.opensuse.org or any of dozens of other free places
on the net, and then post the URL here…

> I assure you that right
> now I am writing to you from a kde 6.5 desktop with a fully functional
> compiz 9.5 and a nice emerald theme.

i tried emerald a few years back…i found it backwards even then…

> The practical way to get it is a
> bit complicated, but I am fully convinced that your brilliancy
> wouldn’t require my modest suggestions. Thanks again!

your attitude is not conducive to me providing additional input.

-ploink-

dd
http://is.gd/bpoMD

Hi
There is a subforum for screenshots… :wink:
Screenshots

Dear Flux Capacitor Penguin,
I admired your emblem in the middle of your home page and I advice that your taste is not of interest for me. I recommend you more reflection by reading posts and perhaps you will discover that indirectly I mention 3 different window decorators: kwin. emerald and gtk, gtk3 included.

After that I apologize for my overreacting, my only excuse is that I don’t have the habit of being insulted.

Well, here are two links with screenshots, I hope they are enough evident.
SUSE Paste
SUSE Paste
malcom, thanks a lot!

Hi there Cadapastro, thanks for your reply.

I wasn’t aware of the existence of this thread, or that compiz issues were affecting all KDE distros. I thought it was an Opensuse-kde exclusive problem.Though I see now, it is a global matter. I wonder at what point did KDE and Compiz developers decide to stop supporting each other, or is there one in specific to blame.

After reading your post I realize I’m probably better off using compiz 8.7, since using 9.5 requires installing gnome, which I would never do…

I’ve been using suse since 11.2, now I’m running 11.4 with kde and lxde installed. Updated via zypper dup every time.
My current repos are limited to OSS, non OSS and updates. I had pacman too but the the US mirror went down and I haven’t looked for a another.

My hardware Specs:

• Biostar a760g m2+
  • AMD Athlon II x3 450 @3.2GHZ
  • generic 4gb ddr2 800
  • HD5830

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers :slight_smile:

On 06/21/2011 04:06 PM, Hanzdersion wrote:
>
> I wasn’t aware of the existence of this thread, or that compiz issues
> were affecting all KDE distros. I thought it was an Opensuse-kde
> exclusive problem.Though I see now, it is a global matter.

then, wouldn’t this discussion be better placed in a compiz
<http://forum.compiz.org/> or kde <http://forum.kde.org/> forum, and not
the openSUSE forum?

DD
Caveat |
Hardware |
Software
21 June: Sunrise 4:34 AM, Sunset 10:03 PM

hi Hanzdersion,
suse is the grandmaster for desktop integration, I mean I can start from my kde4 desktop all gnome or kde3 applications, now including window decorations. By the way my gnome crashes by login because I like to dispose even with the gtk3 theme engines, what is perhaps impossible with wmplayer installed.
I used until a week ago 8.7: possible decorators are kwin and emerald. Now I can also use all gnome decorators. 9.5 is also faster and the plugins which I use work by 100%. If you like so, I will be glad to help you by installing 8.7, by the way the containing repository is now canceled but I copied it just on time. :). However, I recommend you 9.5. Anyway it will be your decision and I am of course ready to help by installing both, one after the other.

Don’t belive what people around say:
COMPIZ IS LOOKING FOR CUSTOMERS, compiz is incompatible whith gnome 3 while the shell is connected to “Mutter”, whose structure is similar to compiz. Some ubuntu user recompiled the whole gnome shell, 3 hours of compiling time by fast cpu, and now uses compiz. :). What is left? xfce, kde3 and plasma. Of course both teams work together and the mutual compatibility grows a bit by every update, simply plasma is a major challenge for compiz.

Most third part desktop applications use gtk2, ex gparted, brasero and even the canon printer driver on my wife’s laptop. I can start on my own kde4 desktop also nautilus or even what, but I like better dolphin. At this point I have on board the last gtk version and related software. That means integration and I stress that suse is the grandmaster. For now my interest on gnome 3 is so low that I configured it for crashing on login attempt. :slight_smile:

Finally, perhaps you can get opengl enough stable by no gnome if you don’t use the vmplayer. I consider switching to virtualbox, but anyway gnome 3 seams to alter the basic suse installation in order to increase the opengl stability.

Well, I am not attempting to push you, simply I explain my reasons for what I did.
Let me know what You want me to do with you, 8.7 or 9.5: we start :).

Oh, I had forgotten the most important thing:

• provide me the graphic card model and driver.
  • provide me the list of your repos, just enter in the console “zypper lr --d” and post the relevant part of the information.

don’t …

no .

now I have time :slight_smile:
HD5830 OK
assuming you prefere compiz 8.7 the task is easy.

• the contents in the 8.7 repo, originally …x11/suse12/compiz take 17 Mb I could upload it but I don’t know where. Perhaps I could open a little ftp?
  • add following:
  • from yast make a local repo as path to some empty folder to fit the compiz rpm’s.
    I continue later

Hi Hanzdersion
OK, assumig you install the old compiz:

the repo for compiz-0.8.6, I mean “/x11/compiz/suse 12” is closed, but I have a complete copy of it, 17 Mb.

• plan a: I upload it somewere but no idea where.
  • plan b: here is the list of all relevant packages in the repo.

compiz-0.8.6-49.1.x86_64.rpm
compiz-bcop-0.8.4-5.1.x86_64.rpm
compiz-branding-openSUSE-0.8.6-49.1.x86_64.rpm
compiz-gnome-0.8.6-49.1.x86_64.rpm
compiz-manager-0.6.0-57.1.noarch.rpm
compiz-plugin-photowheel-0.8.6.git-1.1.x86_64.rpm
compiz-plugins-extra-0.8.6-5.4.x86_64.rpm
compiz-plugins-main-0.8.6-7.1.x86_64.rpm
libcompizconfig-0.8.4-3.2.x86_64.rpm
libcompizconfig-backend-gconf-0.8.4-3.1.x86_64.rpm
simple-ccsm-0.8.4-49.1.x86_64.rpm
simple-ccsm-kde-1.1-9.1.x86_64.rpm

NB: debug, devel and no longer working are not listed here.
I saw by rpmfind the same rpm’s, just a later build.
They could easily do.

• plan c: Total = 4.3 Mb. I send it by email in one or two packs.

let me know, please

thanks for the quick reply,

TBH with you I would rather install 8.7 because 9.5 requirements are not feasible to me…
First it would require downloading gnome 3 full, and my HD space is limited and my Internet connection is not good. Second I’m rather fond of my KDE panel and have it customized just the way I like :slight_smile:

So if you’d be so kind as to provide some general instructions for getting compiz 8.7 to work even if is not 100% stable, I’d be forever indebted to you. I’ve been stuck with Kwin effects since I switched from 11.3 !! lol

Thanks

LOl you are ahead of me.
Could you email it to me ??

I sent you a private message with my email :slight_smile:

Hi Hanzdersion, assuming you got the packages do following:

• put the folder compiz in ~/.config
  • create somewhere a new folder with some name, “aka” compiz_8.6
  • copy the rpm’s inside the folder
  • in yast-repositories add a local repository with path to that folder
  • add the repository
  • yast.install software:
    install everything from the local repository
    install emerald and themes.

turn on desktop effects, not necessary but provides a smoother transition.
personal settings - default applications - window manager - compiz. It can be necessary to try many times.
if not working then the atomic weapon:
open a console and type compiz-manager& “enter”, if doesn’t work wait a few seconds and try again.it should start with an emerald decoration, because I configured it like this. Other options are metacity --replace and kwin --replace.
If is still not working, logout-login and try again.
It should start quite easily, don’t use “zoom” (= super + button 4 or 5) because incompatible.
Let me know, please, later I will post information about configuring, ccsm doesn’t work by wrong python version, and perhaps also the 2 *.py rpm’s in the repo, but …NO PROBLEM! :slight_smile:

Sir, you are an absolute genius !!!

I got it working in no time and I’m in awe, really. I had forgotten how fast and smooth compiz is :slight_smile:
The configuration file you sent me has nice a assortment of effects configured, I just had to change the screen resolution set there, to match my monitors (1600x900)

I feel like you should upload the files to some site like rapidShare or similar and post the link here, so any other non-conformist penguin can have a chance to download it.

If anyone is interested:
-if installing from yast, You must make sure you are installing compiz from the repository you create and not from openSuse or any other repo you may have active. Setting a high priority did not work for me, I had to manually check my repo from the “version” tab in yast. Also you will have to brake CCSM by ignoring the python 2.6 dependencies…
As for installing gnome and metacity, I’m not sure it was necessary, but I did it nonetheless because it would not allow me to install compiz-core otherwise.

Cheers to you Capodastro! Thanks to you I have a fast desktop again, I am forever indebted my friend,

Thank you.

After checking on a “fresh install”: if you don’t have vmware products installed you really don’t need to install gnome 3. :slight_smile: