Commercial software?

Hello there!
I have a question why OpenSuse doens;t seem to be on the map of software providers like Side Effects who develops Houdini?
What I understand is that Linux use some default package management systems (dep, rpm etc.) and OpenSuse uses RPM (if i didn’t mix the letters)
Would Houdini version for fedora run on OpenSuse?
What is the difference between RPMs of Fedora, Opensuse, Mandriva? And why there are these differences?
Wouldn;t it be better to have a more united and generalized package systems so there would be less software incompatibility issues?

Thank you for your time!

That’s something that the manufacturer should be able to reply.

openSUSE uses RPM.

Depends on how it’s built. If it’s packaged with static libraries, most likely will, else I doubt. Software versioning between openSUSE and Fedora is different, so there’s no real assurances. Nevertheless that’s a question for the manufacturer…

Every distribution has it own focus, and the software can be built for thousands of different setups. Since it’s proprietary software, it’s the responsibility of the manufacturer. We don’t access to the software source and and we don’t distribute pre-compiled binary stacks by others. So it’s not really our fight.

Many software vendors do provide SUSE/openSUSE supported binaries, which is the case of Google, Oracle, VideoLAN, etc…

On 03/15/2011 01:06 PM, Jetbird D2 wrote:
>
> Would Houdini version for fedora run on OpenSuse?

that is a question to ask of “Side Effects”

i see they list these as their operating system requirements:
Ubuntu 9.04
Debian 5.0 (32 and 64-bit)
RHEL 5
Fedora Core 6

and, most often when you buy a $2,000 to $10,000 software suite you
find that the company which sells it will NOT offer support for any
system that they have not certified their software for…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11