Closest to opensuse

What would you consider to be the closest to opensuse 12.3 in regards to other distros ??

Thanks.

Hi
This is off-topic for the help forums, will move to Chit Chat and will close thread until it is moved. For our nntp users, please wait until the thread is moved.

Hi
Thread moved and opened for consumption…

In what respects? openSUSE is closer to some distros in some respects and closer to others in other respects.

Nothing is close to opensuse. If I were forced to switch, it would probably be to Fedora or Mint, but I much prefer to stay with opensuse.

Yes, same here. I did try Fedora (and before that Red Hat, before RH was split into RHEL and the community-based distro), and I have worked with an Ubuntu server in a commercial environment but openSUSE has given me the best user experience over time. Use what works!

Not easy to answer within such a broad context. Another distro could only qualify if it offered KDE as its main desktop or best community derivative, since that’s what I use every day.

In the past, PCLinuxOS was a favourite alternative when openSUSE became a bit too heavy on my hardware, before I purchased a more powerful notebook several years back. Since then, openSUSE has steadily improved its performance, and certainly to 12.3 with the exception of Firefox and SeaMonkey browsers on opening (really 30 to 40 secs is way too long on a default install).

Today if I needed to I would look at PCLinuxOS, mageia, and maybe Kubuntu. However a distro is more than just the DE or OS. So when you include other services and support e.g. security advisories, the Build Service, Packman packaging, and other repositories, then the gap tends to get much wider.

consused wrote:
>
> andy77586;2583940 Wrote:
> its performance, and certainly to 12.3 with the exception of Firefox and
> SeaMonkey browsers on opening (really 30 to 40 secs is way too long on a
> default install).
>

Stumbled upon this solution for speeding up firefox and seamonkey and it
works for me

https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/478160-firefox-starts-slowly.html#post2485994

GNOME 3.6.2
openSUSE Release 12.3 (Dartmouth) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

I have ‘Assign Hostname to Loopback IP’ enabled, but Firefox still takes 20-25s to launch on my machine, (so not really the root cause IMHO).

Like others implied: nothing compares if you look at openSUSE as not just a distro. No other distro has features like the buildservice, like studio.

the closest to suse ?

none

OpenSUSE /and SELS/D are in a odd class all by them selves
as a funky rpm based distro
suse is NOT like RedHat
but it uses rpm

deano ferrari wrote:
>
> I have ‘Assign Hostname to Loopback IP’ enabled, but Firefox still
> takes 20-25s to launch on my machine, (so not really the root cause
> IMHO).
>
>
Then we may optionally disable some of the half a dozen checks it does
when starting
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_established_on_startup_-_Firefox

GNOME 3.6.2

On 2013-09-11 22:16, deano ferrari wrote:
>
> I have ‘Assign Hostname to Loopback IP’ enabled, but Firefox still
> takes 20-25s to launch on my machine, (so not really the root cause
> IMHO).

Note that this “trick” causes havoc on other pieces of software - for
instance, postfix.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I decided to think about the fix for a while. I have three system partitions on same hardware, fully updated. Last weekend I upgraded my standard 12.3 to Tumbleweed, and it seems to have pulled FF and SM browsers to below 30 seconds for starting. So I decided to do some careful timings this morning before any attempt to fix. The results showed no difference between the two browsers, but marked differences between the systems and consistently repeatable (rounded to 1 sec):

12.3/KDE 4.11.1 (Tumbleweed but run with standard kernel): 27 sec
12.2 /KDE 4.8.5: 22 sec
11.4/Gnome 2 (Evergreen): 2 sec (although very first start was a bit longer at 5 sec)

Well since my last post with the current timings, I thought about it and checked config on 11.4 (2 sec start for FF or SM), only to find it has “Assign Hostname to Loopback IP” ticked (so probably the default back then - don’t recall changing it). Decided to apply that on Tumbleweed (12.3/KDE) using YaST’s Network Settings.

Success! It now matches the 11.4 Evergreen result of 2 sec with a bit longer for the very first start. :smiley:

On 2013-09-12 18:16, consused wrote:
> longer for the very first start. :smiley:

Please have a look at /var/log/mail, I’m curious.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

consused wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2584254 Wrote:
>> On 2013-09-11 22:16, deano ferrari wrote:
>>>
>>> I have ‘Assign Hostname to Loopback IP’ enabled, but Firefox still
>>> takes 20-25s to launch on my machine, (so not really the root cause
>>> IMHO).
>>
>> Note that this “trick” causes havoc on other pieces of software - for
>> instance, postfix.
> Well since my last post with the current timings, I thought about it and
> checked config on 11.4 (2 sec start for FF or SM), only to find it has
> “Assign Hostname to Loopback IP” ticked (so probably the default back
> then - don’t recall changing it). Decided to apply that on Tumbleweed
> (12.3/KDE) using YaST’s Network Settings.
>
> Success! It now matches the 11.4 Evergreen result of 2 sec with a bit
> longer for the very first start. :smiley:
>
>
The probable explanation is here or i may be wrong

A loopback connection (to IP address 127.0.0.1) on non-Unix
machines [1]. The browser is communicating normally with itself, and it
is not recommended this be blocked.

Same link as the one posted earlier :-
Connections established on startup - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

GNOME 3.6.2

Looked, but nothing interesting. Just a very small number of “starting” and “refreshing” messages, but then I don’t use this system for email. I use 12.2 daily, so I will probably apply the “trick” there tomorrow, and look at /var/log/mail.

It’s only a one-off few seconds longer (+3 to 5). :slight_smile:

On 2013-09-12 22:06, consused wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2584389 Wrote:

>> Please have a look at /var/log/mail, I’m curious.
> Looked, but nothing interesting. Just a very small number of “starting”
> and “refreshing” messages, but then I don’t use this system for email.

What can happen to postfix is this message, repeated:

> <2.2> 2012-08-19 13:54:32 Telcontar postfix 4109 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 13:55:33 Telcontar postfix 4708 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 14:30:01 Telcontar postfix 6040 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 15:00:01 Telcontar postfix 6460 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 15:30:01 Telcontar postfix 6795 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 16:00:01 Telcontar postfix 7756 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 16:30:01 Telcontar postfix 8880 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2
> <2.2> 2012-08-19 16:54:10 Telcontar postfix 22373 - -  fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 127.0.0.2

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Nothing additional so far on my main system (12.2). I don’t do anything sophisticated for email, just Thunderbird and pop3. If any unusual postfix messages appear, I will return here. So far the two-second browser startups are consistent and so is the small delay on the very first one. :wink: