Clear terminal when booting and logging out

I’ve noticed on other Linux distributions that after boot up and logging off the console screen clears and provides basic information like the Linux distribution and then under it the login prompt. How can I do this for openSUSE 11.3?

After I install or reboot I still have all the boot up stuff shown and when I logout after performing some work my commands are still shown. I boot the system to runlevel 3 and barely use the GUI but would like the screen to clear everything after boot up and logging out.

Hmmm You would need to change the init 3 process to take you to an unused tty like 2 or 3 or maybe issue clear command as the last init process.

You don’t want to have to type clear yourself, do you?

Use $SEARCH_ENGINE_OF_YOUR_CHOICE and search for “/etc/issue clear screen”.

On 2010-12-03 17:36, D8TA wrote:

> After I install or reboot I still have all the boot up stuff shown

This part is intentional: so that you know if everything was correct.

> and
> when I logout after performing some work my commands are still shown.

This… I don’t know.
…]

I tried. The VT1 behaves as you describe, but the rest clear the screen on
^D. I don’t know exactly why, but tty1 is different, it has a graphical
background (via framebuffer).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

This is intentional, it’s helpful if something goes wrong during boot.

If you don’t want to see your command just use another console (tty2, tty3, etc…). Or use ‘reset’ command to clear the display before logging out.

And if you REALLY want to disable it (not recommended though) then edit /etc/inittab and remove --noclear option from this line:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1

Yup.

How about a little compromise like “Don’t clear boot messages automatically but clear ttyX when logging in and out as $CERTAIN_USER”?

In this case -if $SHELL is /bin/bash- how about using ~/.bash_login and ~/.bash_logout?

A quick check of “man bash” looked promising, for other shells there might be similar solutions.

I would like to resuscitate this thread. I was under the impression that ~/.bash_Logout was automatically executed when one logs out of a Konsole session.
My questions are related to 13.2, to Konsole. In another circumstance I had a script installed there that created another script which ran when I opened another session of Konsole to redirect me to the directory I had been working in; age does funny things to memory, and gives me a reverse listing of the files in said directory.

But, that does not happen in the current openSuse.
I have made notes on the comments to this inquiry, and shall pursue looking into them, but have the feeling that the answer does not lie in them.

Can anyone suggest other avenues of research or solutions?

Regards,
Frank G.
:slight_smile: