chromium and emoji

https://emojipedia.org/search/?q=hands

Some are colored, most are not, and some are shown as squares.
Is there a font / package that will give a more complete and consistent selection?

emoji are not part of a font. They are normally generated by a sequence of characters that an application interprets as the emoji picture. So it is all on the particular app if and what the sequence is interpreted as ie an emoji.

:) is smiley

:slight_smile:

Sorry, but I have a different opinion. Apart from the smileys you mention, nowadays there are a lot of those defined in Unicode. See e.g.: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf. And as such are treated as every other Unicode character when displayed on a screen or paper. They must be rendered by using fonts that support them.

What the OP sees I see also with Firefox. It has nothing to do with the browser, but with fonts that are, or are not supported on the system. I assume the OP hopes that somebody can point him to a font somewhere that can be downloaded and installed on his openSUSE system to avoid the time and effort searching for it.

Did you try going to yast2 software management and search for the word “emoji”

Yes. But both packages specifically say:

The font works in all operating systems, but will currently only show color emoji in Firefox, Thunderbird and other Mozilla Gecko-based applications.

Try install this font: https://github.com/emojione/emojione/tree/master/extras/fonts

Thanks! ������

A few still show as squares, but I’m seeing most of them, and they are all colored.

Steps:

1. download emojione-android.ttf
  2. place it in ~/.fonts
  3. copy and paste the body of the config file’s <fontconfig> into the existing ~/.fonts.conf file’s <fontconfig> section
  4. fc-cache -f
  5. restart chromium

Oddly, when I copy and paste them they show up as black-and-white in certain places.

Here on the forum if I use the copy button on emojipedia, then it pastes as black-and-white; ������
however, if I use the mouse to highlight the emoji from the “also known as” list, copy,
and then paste it here, then it shows up as colored. ������

Edit: After posting they all appear as black-and-white.
Edit 2: After editing they all appear as diamonds with ‘?’ in them.

i can not explain for 100% why you see the different replacements for thoses characters.

As said above they are just Unicode characters (in the range U+1F600 - U+1F64F) encoded in UTF-8. These are of course multi-byte sequenses in memory.

Example: on the emojipedia page with subject “hands” there is REVERSED VICTORY HAND which is U+1F594 and in UTF-8 has the hex bytes F0 9F 96 94.

A program that reads those characters and wants to display them on paper can either find a glyph for a character in one of the fonts it has (in which case it will display the glyph) or it can’t. In the latter case there it cab e.g. display a box with the hex Unicode in it: .🖔 .
It is not easy to see, but in the “hands” page as I see it, the character for the Reversed Victory Hand is a box with 01F 594 in it.

When a program can not display (or does not take the trouble to display) this box it will probably display a small open box instead

So both are placeholders for missing glyphs (none found in any of the fonts available).

But when the program encounters bytes that do not fit in the character encoding that it is using, it will display the � for each byte.
E.g. when you have an Unicode character in a text that is interpreted as ASCII or as (or Latin-1, the program will try to display the ASCII characters for (our example) F0 9F 96 94. s none of them is a displayable ASCII character they are shown as ��[FONT=&amp]�� (or when interpreted as being Latin-1: [/FONT]�).

My conclusion: somewhere during your copy/paste and editing you text was interpreted as not being Unicode.