Chrome or Chromium?

Ok, I would love to use Firefox, but it usually takes my whole PC down when it hogs the resources leaving me to push the power button. I wish Mozilla would fix this?

Chromium, at least it is open source, for some reason it does not like to load youtube videos. I even deleted the files from home and started fresh still the same.

So I am stuck with Chrome, not my favorite choice.

So how come videos work in Chrome but not Chromium? I thought they were practically one in the same, is Chrome more up to date then Chromium?

This is a Multimedia question to which you will find the answer at http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/496247-can-anyone-play-the-video-on-this-site-with-firefox-or-chromium?highlight=chromium

Thanks, I installed an HTML5 plug in, and now it gives the error for a split second, then loads to video, this is good enough for me to stop using Chrome as my primary browser. rotfl!

rdonnelly2001 wrote:

>
> john_hudson;2631294 Wrote:
>> This is a Multimedia question to which you will find the answer at
>> http://tinyurl.com/p43are9
>
> Thanks, I installed an HTML5 plug in, and now it gives the error for
a
> split second, then loads to video, this is good enough for me to
stop
> using Chrome as my primary browser. rotfl!
>
I have the newer Chromium installed from Packman and it works fine on
the movie website called out.

---------
~> rpm -qa |grep chromium
chromium-beta-desktop-kde-34.0.1847.60-1.1.x86_64
chromium-beta-ffmpeg-34.0.1847.60-3.1.x86_64
chromium-beta-suid-helper-34.0.1847.60-1.1.x86_64
chromium-pepper-flash-12.0.0.44-2.1.x86_64
chromium-beta-34.0.1847.60-1.1.x86_64
---------

Russ
openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop x86_64|
Intel(R) Quad Core™ i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|
GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49)|KDE 4.12.3

I’m not sure there is anything for Mozilla to fix in firefox (at least in the sense that you intend) as it works for the vast majority of openSUSE users.
So the question that should really be asked is “what is wrong with firefox on your install?”

and then the same again with Chromium - why is it failing for you when it works for most other openSUSE users.

are you using Youtube with flash or html5?
For flash video from youtube in chromium either adobe flash from the non-oss repo or pepperflash from packman should work perfectly.

For the html5 version of youtube ensure you are using chromium-ffmpeg from packman (not chromium-ffmpegsumo)

Guys, I used debian based system for years, and I am not sure how to use Packman, I usually use yast or the web install.

Can you give me some samples how to get Chromium and FF with packman?

Where do I get the chromium-ffmpeg, yast 1 click only shows chromium-ffmpegsumo, yast desktop only has the sumo version as well?

You need to have the Packman repository enabled for the chromium-ffmpeg.

For a step by step guide, take a looksee here: http://opensuse-guide.org/repositories.php

zypper info chromium-ffmpeg

Information for package chromium-ffmpeg:

Repository: Packman Repository
Name: chromium-ffmpeg
Version: 33.0.1750.152-611.1

I installed Packman, and chromium-ffmpeg, and I get “shockwave has crashed” when I go to a forum has youtube links.

I am giving FF another chance I found this https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ramback/?src=api

The only other strange thing about FF, if I copy a password from Keepass, I am able to paste it into any place I want, but FF. So I have to go to clipper, and click on it, and only then can I paste into FF?

That has nothing to do with chromium-ffmpeg.
This means that the flash-player crashed.

Do you maybe have an older 32bit CPU?
Flash-Player 11 does not work if your CPU has no SSE2 support, which Athlon XPs f.e. don’t have.

If not, you could also try to install chromium-pepper-flash from Packman, which contains the latest flash-player for chromium.
Or try to uninstall that if it is installed.

Thanks, the pepper flash works on Youtube but any forums with videos are blank spots with no trace a video was ever there?

I do have a 64bit CPU. Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB

Any ways, I am still happily using FF with the Ramback and no crashes in over week.