Choosing a new laptop for openSUSE Tumbleweed

Hey everyone,

I’m in the process of considering a switch from my current setup - a Dell XPS 13 running Ubuntu - to either a Slimbook Executive 14 or a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 11. The main reason for this shift is to optimize my workflow and enhance compatibility with openSUSE Tumbleweed, which interest me because of its rolling release model and stability.

I’m particularly interested in the Slimbook Executive 14 for its design, build quality, and the fact that it comes pre-installed with openSUSE, ensuring a smoother transition. The hardware specifications seem to match my needs, and I’ve read positive feedback about this laptop (like this one : The Slimbook Executive is here, and it's majestic)

On the other hand, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 11 also seems like a formidable contender. As Lenovo is well known for laptop quality, it’s a tempting choice. It can come with preinstalled linux (but only Ubuntu/Fedora), the hardware compatibility with openSUSE Tumbleweed appears promising but i’m not sure that it will be fully compatible.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience with either of these laptops, particularly in the context of running openSUSE Tumbleweed. How’s the performance? Any compatibility issues encountered?

Ultimately, my goal is to find a reliable, performant laptop that seamlessly integrates with openSUSE Tumbleweed for my daily tasks. Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this decision.

Thanks !

1 Like

Hi there and welcome to the forums :slightly_smiling_face:

I didn’t know about Slimbook until now, but if the company is willing to support OpenSuse/Linux on their hardware it would be a better choice IMHO.

Thinkpads are known to work well with most Linux distros, but there is someone on the linux kernel regressions list currently fixing a bunch of issues that happened in the 6.7.x kernel series.

My point is that Lenovo is not going to help you fix those issues and they won’t take it up with the kernel team if there is a regression with your hardware, I have two entry level Lenovos which I use as my primary and secondary machines, had to file a bug report to the linux kernel regressions team (redirected from OpenSuse bugzilla) and do a git bisection to find culprit commit and all that recently (quite a lengthy painful process I might add). Contacting Lenovo for support didn’t even cross my mind!

So my vote goes to anyone willing to actually support OpenSuse/Linux on their hardware.

1 Like

Never used a Slimbook but it seems nice. I have Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 and everything worked from the start (I started using the fingerprint reader some month after I got the laptop). From what I can see, the fingerprint reader might not work in Gen 11.

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies.

I’ll probably go with slimbook choice as it might be a better option for OpenSUSE support/ troubleshooting and also less expensive with equivalent configuration.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.