Checksum error messages on installation

openSUSE 11.1 (amd64) installation from downloaded DVD. Downloaded file passed checksum and the burned DVD passed media check.

However, now that I’m installing it I have gotten more than two dozen YaST2 error messages (“wrong digest”) that the checksums for that particular file or package does not correspond to the one generated by the repository creator. “Using it is a big risk for the integrity and security of your system.”

Anyone else had this problem? Any solution?

The machine is not hooked up to the internet or to any network.

Although I can’t see how my system has any connection with package checksum errors, its a dual AMD Opteron 250 system, 8 GB of memory, dual 36 GB SAS HDs in Raid 1 off an Adaptec 48300 controller. Motherboard is Supermicro - don’t have the model number handy.

I have used this system with SCSI drives w/o problems for other Linux distributions, including openSUSE. This is the first time I’ve used SAS drives or an SAS controller, but its hard to imagine how these or any HDs would lead to a checksum error.

Installation isn’t finished so I don’t know whether SUSE will work after installation, but I have declined to use each of the files with defective checksums so I’m not optimistic.

Hi
You might try disabling the 'Install from Images" option, from memory
it’s on the last screen before the install at the very bottom of the
summary screen.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.23-0.1-default
up 2 days 0:57, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.12, 0.03
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14

Thanks for the idea: disabled “install from images” but got essentially the same result: dozens of checksum error messages and failure to boot whether I accepted or rejected each “corrupted” file.

I thought it might be just incorrect checksums from bad reads by a dirty DVD-reader lens so I cleaned it this morning - no change.

I can’t imagine the SAS controller and disks caused either bad reads or checksum errors, I’ll try again with the “old” SCSI controller and drives.

Appreciate any ideas - I’m stumped!

USPFOMaine wrote:

> I thought it might be just incorrect checksums from bad reads by a
> dirty DVD-reader lens so I cleaned it this morning - no change.

I would also point to this (slow or dirty dvd reader) as the culprit :slight_smile:

> I can’t imagine the SAS controller and disks caused either bad reads or
> checksum errors, I’ll try again with the “old” SCSI controller and
> drives.
>
> Appreciate any ideas - I’m stumped!

As a workaround, I would rather go with mini-iso (NET iso) cd and then
install openSUSE from remote ftp (just minimal packages with the graphical
environment of your choice).

Once installed, you can add as many packages as you need to fit your
requirements.

Greetings,

Camaleón