Chat GPT-4o: can I include AI generated code in an Open Source Project?

Can I include a ChatGPT generated example in a GNU Licensed project that I then submit to OpenSUSE factory?

I suppose I might at least have to document that it is Chat-GPT generated which I believe means the code is in the public domain but that it cannot be copyrighted (because it is not written by a human).

Background:

I’ve written ddcutil-service, a D-BUS service that uses libddcutil/ddcutil to adjust external-monitor brightness, contrast, and other settings.

I wanted to see how much faster using the service from C would be than using the ddcutil command line interface. The service should be faster because the normal ddcutil command has to reprobe i2c each time it’s run. I asked Chat GPT-4o to write the code.

Here is the ChatGPT conversation:

I have a dbus service, could you write a gdbus client that calls either its SetVcp and GetVcp methods according to parameters passed on the command line? The XML defining the service is about 600 lines, can I paste it here for you to start with?
… paste …

Could you now write a gdbus client in C that calls either its SetVcp and GetVcp methods of the above service definition according to parameters passed on the command line?
… generated code …

You only have to pass one of the edid or the display_number, not both, can we alter the code to allow either to be provided?
…generated corrected code…

Actually, you do have to pass both to the service, but the display_number can be set to -1 when passing the edid, and the edid can be set to ‘’ when passing the display_number.

Actually the service is a Session Bus service.

The ‘i’ in specifications such as ‘(issi)’ means the argument should be passed as a integer value.

You’ve reached your GPT-4o limit. Responses will use GPT-3.5 until your limit resets after 11:46 AM.

Running the resulting code

At this point there was only one error left, so I manually corrected it, and the program then worked properly:

# Set display 1 brightness (feature code 16) to 100 using the generated d-bus client:
/bin/time -p ./a.out SetVcp 1 16 100
SetVcp called successfully.
Error status: 0, Error message: OK
real 0.06
user 0.00
sys 0.00

Compared to the ddcutil command it is much faster, so avoiding the need to reinitialise/reprobe i2c is worthwhile:

# Set display 1 brightness (feature code 16=0x10) to 100 using the ddcutil command:
/bin/time -p ddcutil --display 1 setvcp  0x10 10 
real 0.49
user 0.02
sys 0.41

So the answer a C program calling the service is about 7.5 time faster than running the ddcutil command.

The coding experience

Working with ChatGPT-4o felt kind of like working with a new hiree. They could read the XML and code a competent effort without supervision. But they needed additional insights into the specification of the code, and also a little help on how dbus parameters need to be interpreted and specified for glib.

The generated code:

#include <gio/gio.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

static void call_set_vcp(GDBusConnection *connection, int display_number, const char *edid_txt, guint8 vcp_code, guint16 vcp_new_value) {
    GError *error = NULL;
    GVariant *result;

result = g_dbus_connection_call_sync(connection,
                                         "com.ddcutil.DdcutilService",  // Bus name
                                         "/com/ddcutil/DdcutilObject",  // Object path
                                         "com.ddcutil.DdcutilInterface",  // Interface name
                                         "SetVcp",  // Method name
                                         g_variant_new("(isyqu)", display_number, edid_txt, vcp_code, vcp_new_value),
                                         G_VARIANT_TYPE("(is)"),
                                         G_DBUS_CALL_FLAGS_NONE,
                                         NULL,
                                         &error);

if (error) {
        g_printerr("Error calling SetVcp: %s\n", error->message);
        g_error_free(error);
    } else {
        g_print("SetVcp called successfully.\n");
        gint error_status;
        const gchar *error_message;
        g_variant_get(result, "(is)", &error_status, &error_message);
        g_print("Error status: %d, Error message: %s\n", error_status, error_message);
        g_variant_unref(result);
    }
}

static void call_get_vcp(GDBusConnection *connection, int display_number, const char *edid_txt, guint8 vcp_code) {
    GError *error = NULL;
    GVariant *result;

result = g_dbus_connection_call_sync(connection,
                                         "com.ddcutil.DdcutilService",  // Bus name
                                         "/com/ddcutil/DdcutilObject",  // Object path
                                         "com.ddcutil.DdcutilInterface",  // Interface name
                                         "GetVcp",  // Method name
                                         g_variant_new("(isyu)", display_number, edid_txt, vcp_code, 0),
                                         G_VARIANT_TYPE("(qqsis)"),
                                         G_DBUS_CALL_FLAGS_NONE,
                                         NULL,
                                         &error);

if (error) {
        g_printerr("Error calling GetVcp: %s\n", error->message);
        g_error_free(error);
    } else {
        g_print("GetVcp called successfully.\n");
        guint16 vcp_current_value, vcp_max_value;
        const gchar *vcp_formatted_value, *error_message;
        gint error_status;
        g_variant_get(result, "(qqsis)", &vcp_current_value, &vcp_max_value, &vcp_formatted_value, &error_status, &error_message);
        g_print("VCP current value: %d, VCP max value: %d, Formatted value: %s\n", vcp_current_value, vcp_max_value, vcp_formatted_value);
        g_print("Error status: %d, Error message: %s\n", error_status, error_message);
        g_variant_unref(result);
    }
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    if (argc < 4) {
        g_printerr("Usage: %s <method> <display_number or edid> <vcp_code> [vcp_new_value]\n", argv[0]);
        return 1;
    }

const char *method = argv[1];
    const char *display_or_edid = argv[2];
    const char *vcp_code_str = argv[3];
    const char *vcp_new_value_str = argc > 4 ? argv[4] : NULL;

int display_number = -1;
    const char *edid_txt = "";
    guint8 vcp_code = (guint8)atoi(vcp_code_str);
    guint16 vcp_new_value = vcp_new_value_str ? (guint16)atoi(vcp_new_value_str) : 0;

if (strcmp(display_or_edid, "edid:") == 0) {
        edid_txt = display_or_edid + 5;
    } else {
        display_number = atoi(display_or_edid);
    }

GError *error = NULL;
    GDBusConnection *connection = g_bus_get_sync(G_BUS_TYPE_SESSION, NULL, &error);
    if (!connection) {
        g_printerr("Error connecting to session bus: %s\n", error->message);
        g_error_free(error);
        return 1;
    }

if (strcmp(method, "SetVcp") == 0) {
        if (vcp_new_value_str == NULL) {
            g_printerr("Usage for SetVcp: %s SetVcp <display_number or edid> <vcp_code> <vcp_new_value>\n", argv[0]);
            return 1;
        }
        call_set_vcp(connection, display_number, edid_txt, vcp_code, vcp_new_value);
    } else if (strcmp(method, "GetVcp") == 0) {
        call_get_vcp(connection, display_number, edid_txt, vcp_code);
    } else {
        g_printerr("Unknown method: %s\n", method);
        return 1;
    }

g_object_unref(connection);
    return 0;
}

1 Like