Changed Wireless Router PW - Leap 15.1 no longer connects

I’ve had several years of trouble-free networking on my (wireless) and my wife’s (ethernet) desktop with OpenSUSE, both with Leap 15.1 and Tumbleweed. Yesterday I changed my Wireless Router PW. No other changes.

Since then my OpenSUSE wireless no longer connects.

My wife’s desktop icon in Gnome 3 for ethernet is showing active and then a question mark then active and back and forth. Her computer seems confused. Her internet connection, though, stays active.

Our Netgear router uses WPA2-PSK and OpenSUSE only lists WPA-PSK as an option for home use, a very slow old protocol. When home users are setting up wireless is the assumption that they are the same?

I tried to load it with Leap 15.1 and Tumbleweed both. The same no connection result followed with each.

I went so far as to fresh load Manjaro on the same machine. Wireless works perfect.

Other than the possibility that the router is dying, I’m stumped. I’m not a highly skilled user, but I can follow directions. Can someone guide me. I can’t imagine what in the world I might have done to screw it up.

This one, I can explain. The system periodically checks whether you have an Internet connection. It checks this with an attempt to connect to “conncheck.opensuse.org”. Currently (and for the last two days) there is a network problem at that site. So the connection check fails even if your Internet connection is good. Best to ignore that flag for now.

Our Netgear router uses WPA2-PSK and OpenSUSE only lists WPA-PSK as an option for home use, a very slow old protocol. When home users are setting up wireless is the assumption that they are the same?

NetworkManager knows about both protocols, but uses the same prompt for both. So that part looks okay.

Are you able to get into Connection Settings and change the password there?

Well done with answering this. I wasn’t sure based on the strange symptoms as reported, but that would make sense (given what we’ve seen reported here recently).

@iamjiwjr: For future reference, you can capture meaningful output from the NetworkManager.service to post here using

sudo journalctl -u NetworkManager

or captured to a file…

sudo journalctl -u NetworkManager > log.txt

Lengthy output can be uploaded to https://paste.opensuse.org/ instead, and the URL that it provides posted here for others to review and advise further.

Thanks for the responses. I’m now connected on both computers. The wireless/ethernet icon goes back and forth between a ? and the normal connected icon, but the connection to the network is solid.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Very much appreciated.

It should have cleared up by now?