changed to Plasma 5 ???

Hello,

I still use KDE 4.14, would you recommend upgrading to Plasma 5 or wait?

Thank you.

Read up. There are some regressions that you may or may not like to live with. Also QT5 seems a little picky about some hardware.

What I do is have 2 root directories and I can install a new OS (not mounting my home yet) and test it to see about hardware compatibility. When happy I mount home partition and have moved to the new OS leaving the previous space to be used with the next OS. But can always drop back if the new OS shows problems I can’t deal with

So I suggest you try before you buy :wink:

A good option is to use Wolfi’s repo at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2/

This will allow you to install plasma5 alongside and kde4 (which is not possible using the standard Opensuse repos) . You can then choose which you prefer.

What interests me is the stability of plasma 5, is there annoying bugs? ¿Crashes?

Depends on the hardware. Seems as if QT5 does not like some NVIDIA cards using the nouveau driver but there are lots of reports of random crashes with AMD as well. For the most part but not all cases the proprietary drive may straighten it out. A lot are not seeing any problems so your mileage may vary. Also KDE plasma 5.5 may fix some problems and is available. Also recommend a clean install rather than an upgrade since a lot of problems seen here are on upgrades rather then clean installs. Leap is really a leap.

My problem is in regressions in KDE5 of features I believe are important and make KDE4 great not just another desktop but something unique. But then some people may not even miss them since they use simple computing models. So far I am skipping 42.1 and hoping 42.2 may correct at least some of this. I find 13.2 +KDE4 absolutely solid and has features missing from Plasma 5, so have no huge urge to downgrade my experience by upgrading the OS.

Crashes continue since November. Ho progress is made despite several updates.

Try. If you encounter crashes, that’s all - it is unlikely that you or developers can solve the problems.

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 02:06:02 GMT
gogalthorp <gogalthorp@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

> Depends on the hardware. Seems as if QT5 does not like some NVIDIA
> cards using the nouveau driver

Most, if not all of the problems I had with nouveau went away with the
latest kernels. However, several bugs/features of Plasma5 mean that I’ll
probably be sticking with 13.2 for some considerable time.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 4.4.1; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (Driver: nouveau);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

I use only nouveau in bumblebee under Leap 42.1 KDE without any problem.
I have notebook MSI GP70 2PE Leopard with NVIDIA GeForce 840M.

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 02:06:02 GMT
gogalthorp <gogalthorp@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

> Depends on the hardware. Seems as if QT5 does not like some NVIDIA
> cards using the nouveau driver

Most, if not all of the problems I had with nouveau went away with the
latest kernels. However, several bugs/features of Plasma5 mean that I’ll
probably be sticking with 13.2 for some considerable time.

Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
Kernel: 4.4.1; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (Driver: nouveau);
Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)